• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My add-on temp guage may not be long enough...

edpdx

I added the gauge a couple of years back, but have never felt that it was giving accurate readings. I'm thinking that the sensor in the housing does not dip low enough into the water jacket to get a reading.

I have tried to "burp" the water out so there is no void left, but I think as water level drop, or water sloshes out of the pocet below the sensor, air get trapped in it again, and the reading is wrong.

Any tricks I can try?

*It's the spot on the passenger side where you replace the block-off plate with a plate that has a bung in it to accept the sensor.

rsh4364

I added the gauge a couple of years back, but have never felt that it was giving accurate readings. I'm thinking that the sensor in the housing does not dip low enough into the water jacket to get a reading.

I have tried to "burp" the water out so there is no void left, but I think as water level drop, or water sloshes out of the pocet below the sensor, air get trapped in it again, and the reading is wrong.

Any tricks I can try?

*It's the spot on the passenger side where you replace the block-off plate with a plate that has a bung in it to accept the sensor.
What is your hot temp at idle and at 55 mph.Or what makes you think readings are off?Before I installed mine I dipped probe into boiling water to check accuracy.

edpdx

What is your hot temp at idle and at 55 mph.Or what makes you think readings are off?Before I installed mine I dipped probe into boiling water to check accuracy.
About 140 degrees either way; but it's cold now. When pulling his I get to 180-190.

rsh4364

When I start my 86 1009 and let it sit and idle I can watch temp climb to 190 then thermo opens and cools down to 160.When driving 55 temp normally runs 170-175.If I drive it 60-65 it runs about 180-185.My 1009 has 456 gears so motor works harder at 60-65.I would replace thermostat,I drove my 85 1009 my first winter with a stuck open thermo,lost 2-3 mpg.What a difference after I changed it.Both in mpg and cab heat.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Well mine has been hooked up the same way for the past 8 years in M1009 and the only time mine ever gets up to 190 is pulling a big hill with a trailer loaded with firewood or a car trailer with another CUCV on it. I have stock 308 gears. It crawls up hills in the northern part of PA. It still does the job. Not a speed racer but does the job. Descending the hill it drops to 160 170 and never goes over that. I have great heat in winter and I have no insulation on the interior firewall and the floor is just bare with Line X. I have an assortment of grille covers that I use. They do a big help with the rear seating heat. I have a copper brass replacement radiator and an aluminum heater core.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks