• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Carb is Driving Me Nuts!!

1943ht

Have had a real journey with my Carb.. sent it in for rebuild in 2007 to an outfit in CA. The rebuild was marginal at best and for $400 felt that I was ripped off . Never got that resolved, and the Carb never preformed like it should. Fast forward to this year and my determination to fix my Carb. Picked up what I figured would be a top notch kit from a supplier out of Hemmings that does nothing but vintage Carbs. Excellent kit, but did not include new jets! Did my rebuild and had fair results with a couple of exceptions, could not get my idle jets to work at the correct RPM, and track barely hit 20 MPH on the road.

I did everything possible to diagnose: vacuum leaks, fuel pressure, timing, distributor, coil etc... always came back to the Carb. Made a call to a rebuild shop that specializes in Stromberg Carbs, also found them in Hemmings.

Talked with Tim, the guru of all things Stomberg at Daytona Parts, FL and decided to send it to him for some TLC. The result was excellent.

Just got my Carb back ..can't believe how beautiful it looks!! Threw it on and the difference was immediate, I can even adjust my idle jet screws and hear the difference! Cost of rebuild to include shipping was $305.00. I sent a spare bowl that I had off a 47 Caddy Stromberg carb that I had on the shelf as my original bowl had been literally hammered on back in the day by some POS and looked like crap. That beating also caused my accelerator pump passage to be slightly out of round and unknown to me caused some hairline cracks in the bowl ..carb never leaked, but it's performance was compromised. Pics.

IMG_20200622_161105.jpg

IMG_20200622_161006.jpg

IMG_20200622_161221.jpg

IMG_20200622_161122.jpg

IMG_20200622_161139.jpg

IMG_20200622_161139.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Biggest mistake people make in rebuilding carbs is hoping tiny passages are clear. You MUST run a drill through each and every passage.

1943ht

Yes did that after removing the lead plugs and used one of my clock ultrasounds to clean everything .. my metering jets were crap ... I'm sure I missed something.. your absolutley correct about the passageways, I now know that the 1st rebuilder did not do that to include pulling and cleaning any of the jets .. I was a bit naive regards Carbs in 2007, but have learned much with the rebuilds I've done since!

Ferretboy

Ive had the same sort of problems on my unimog ...changed distributor and plug wires....im ok now....looking forward to hearing from you....good luck...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks