• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CV joint fell apart!

Gunfreak25

So I had the front right axle shaft out on my M211 for a clean and repack job a few days ago. Wrapped it in newspaper to keep it dirt free for the time being. So this morning when I was carrying it to my table I felt the CV joint separate and the ball bearings come loose. Once on my table I unwraped everything and gave everything a look over and I think I see what caused it. Somebody took an angle grinder to the corners of the yolks to allow the two halves to be separated and the balls removed. I don't believe it has an affect on the function of the CV joint, but just allows it to be taken apart for easier cleaning. It sure is a pain in the rear to get back together. I don't even know which ball came out of which groove.

Could this be a problem? Field modification or some shade tree redneck job?

hoop

"Field modification or some shade tree redneck job?"
What's the difference? It's a "have to get her going".

Gunfreak25

Suppose your correct on that, but would still like to know if it's okay to use or should I get a new axle shaft? I can get a new one for $100 and postage.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those joints are one of those things that fall apart easy, and go together hard!

If it's not worn where the balls ride, put it together and go.

Gunfreak25

Yeah, just talked to Jack in Tucson and he said the same thing. When everything is reassembled onto the axle then there's no way for it to come apart anyhow. I am beginning to think it was done so the bearings could be removed for "easier" servicing. It was a clean grind job and likely done while it was in service. It will be just a little tricky getting back together. I'll just have to put the bearings back in when I get the axle back into the housing, then I can repack them.