• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce is Home from PA Mechanicsburg!

m38inmaine

It was a long cold trip but my first deuce is home. It took 12 hours to get there, stayed the night right across from the DRMS gate. Arrived at 7:30 as scheduled and then the fun begins. GL has a little 8 1/2x11 paper sign on a building door, find a office in a corner of the warehouse, find secretary who says you need to go to the scrap yard and find a guy in a white ford ranger, after prying his name out of them found the yard and he took me to the truck. It was very cold, 1 degree or so, he said do what you need to do and check in before you leave. After an hour or so of changing tires, mirrors, batteries adding fluids etc we left. Not much of a check out, sign and date a copy of the invoice. It was a good feeling being clear of the base. Went to Saturn surplus first and met with them and got a bunch of parts. Then went to Colemans and bought a snatch block for $35 and some other stuff. Really wanted a tool trailer and they had a really nice clean one up front. It was painted some sort of equipment yellow but it was in perfect shape, $500 would have bought it but it was so cold and with the long trip ahead I passed, probably regret that decision. Left colemans at about noon and headed east. Landed home at 6:30am the next morning. With no heater and a drafty cab it was like riding a snowmobile from PA to Maine. I had a small coleman heater in the cab but it wasnt much help. I put two new tires and shocks on the front but at around 45-55 I had a violent wheel shimmy, backed of the throttle and it would go away, it would come back and leave with no warning, by the time I got to Maine it went away. No play at all in the steering so not sure if I had a bent wheel, bad tire or what. The double spline axel and lockout hub was a good idea, I was passing trucks going up steep grades and easily maintained 55 up hills without having to shift. The rear tires were another issue, at about 40 I had a vibration on those as well, again the extreme cold could be a factor and a couble were cupped and one was a bit dry rotted. I used 75 gallons of fuel which showed 9.3mpg which I thought was good. The only mechanical problem I had is the rear main seal leak finally reached a class III leak in Conn. and oil was pouring out of the bell housing drain hole when stopped, it leaked about a half pint then stopped to a steady drip, the clutch started to slip on steep grades in Maine but if I backed off a bit it would catch again. Looks like when things warm up I have a clutch to replace and a few seals. All the original documents on the previous unit inspection was in the truck, it belonged to the SVC battery 1/258 FA new york national guard, all the faults were listed and man hours to repair, mostly seals and tire faults. Overall I am happy that the engine and transmission are strong and no rust or body damage to repair. As I said it was very cold but I did manage to get a few pictures, some on another camera and I will post them later.

Attachments

devilman96

Great to see another fall into the hands of the SS family! Most of the seals you will be looking for are in our parts X section so when the time comes you will be prepaired...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick little trick I picked up while trekking into the cold once. Open the hinge lock on the PTO. That hole usuall allows a blast of warm air up into the cab.

houdel

You gotta have cast iron balls to drive an unknown GL truck from PA to ME in basically sub zero weather and no in cab heater. You are a much more rugged person than I. I only had to go about 230 miles, 4+ hours, across the state of MI in merely freezing weather and with a heater! Of course, with the soft top and as you noted drafty cab, the heater really didn't do too much for me. The good thing - my truck came with nearly a full tank of diesel, so I got to drive home on Govt fuel! The bad thing - I ran out of fuel 200' up my 300' driveway. Could have been worse, I suppose.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family!

tbrenner

How was it starting it in the cold? I would think the fuel would gel at that temp. I'm just curious because I am waiting on my EUC and its about the same temp here in Minnesota right now. Nice looking truck by the way.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Hey man,

Congrats on the voyage. I just got back with mine earlier this month. It was a balmy 27 degrees when I picked it up. I have a heater and thought I had it on for the first 2 hrs. Turns out I didn't have the cable pulled to open the door to the heater box. But it wasn't that bad. In fact, I rode with the drivers window 1/2 way down. I had a group of guys lined up who wanted to make the trip. I thought about buying another and selling the road trip as "Manadventure" to fund the deuce purchase.
Glad you made it back safely. Enjoy the adventure.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mark:
I am glad you made it home safely I hope the work is not too bad and that you get warmed up before spring. We were praying for a safe trip and glad that you and the truck are home safely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks