• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My deuce's to-do list

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a part of my to-do list for the deuce. It may be interesting to compare notes on this sort of thing.

1) Windshield wipers (replaced one on the last trip), need motor for passenger side.
2) More LED type lights (replaced two on the last trip)
3) Fix driver side window (hard to crank up and down)
4) Fix turn signal flasher (fails when it gets hot)
5) Separate circuit breakers for head lights and other lights. An over load will kill all lights, not fun.
6) One brake shoe sometimes locks up in stop and go traffic (driver side intermediate).
7) Replace all brake shoes, some are getting kind'a worn.
8) Night time illumination of instruments not so good.
9) Change fuel filters
10) Change oil
11) Change coolant filter
12) Change/clean crankcase ventilation filter
13) Change air filter
14) Replace low-air pressure switch (doesn't work at temps below 20)
15) Fix back padding on companion seat.
16) Small fuel leak near injection pump.
17) Replace radiator cap (appears to be leaking from time to time)
18) Tighten all belts (fan and compressor)
19) Check transmission (hard to shift at times)
20) Finish painting
21) Replace bed with M756 one.
22) Fix return spring on exhaust brake (don't need it much, but..)
23) Make removable rear part for bikini top.
24) Install clock (have russian military "tank" clock from ebay)
25) Fix fuel gauge (use dip stick in tank now)
26) Do something with engine cooling fan (too efficient)
27) Replace battery box
28) Fix flame heater. Never worked after conversion to turbo. At one time the nozzle actually leaked fuel into intake manifold. Lines disconnected now.
29) Batteries are getting old and should probably be replaced.
30) Also a couple of new tires, but I better stop, this is getting scary.:freaked:

CGarbee

Bjorn,
One of the things on my "to do" is also to seperate out the headlights.... I'm getting ready to install some Hella H4 e-code units like I have in my M37 and M38's and I have the convoy warning lights and I've noticed that the lights will die with the stock units installed if I have everything on for an extended period...
Also have to fix the dead spedometer... Beed driving by RPM's, but I think that my buddy who is talking about driving my M35A2C in the East Coast Convoy would apreciate knowing how fast he was running...
I also have a "trick" fuel guage so that is on the list.

Need to repaint it as well as the CARC camo is fading and the spot painting to touch up the invariable rust spots is making it look pretty funky...

Otherwise, my PM list is the same as yours...

red devils dude

Wow looks like mine.
lets see 1.Engine head gasket(chould mean rebuild)
2. Front lights and guards
3. throttle cable
4. mirrors (from joe young)
5. some gauges
6. all the filters
7. repaint (big job)
8. lots of little things :banghead: :sad:
9. check brakes
10. axle seals
11. new batterys

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the headlights, my plan is to get 3 (three) separate circuit breakers (CB's), one for each head light and one for all the rest. They will be 10 amp jobs. The CB in the light switch is a 20 amp unit, so in this fashion the 10-amp ones will trip first, I hope.
Coming back from a trip at dusk the other day, I turned on the turnsignals to make the turn onto our road (almost zero traffic) and when I touched the brakes everything went dark , scary!!. The breaker turned back on as I was turning into our driveway, 1/4 mile later.

Monster Man

cranetruck said:
This is a part of my to-do list for the deuce. It may be interesting to compare notes on this sort of thing.

1) Windshield wipers (replaced one on the last trip), need motor for passenger side.
2) More LED type lights (replaced two on the last trip)
3) Fix driver side window (hard to crank up and down)
4) Fix turn signal flasher (fails when it gets hot)
5) Separate circuit breakers for head lights and other lights. An over load will kill all lights, not fun.
6) One brake shoe sometimes locks up in stop and go traffic (driver side intermediate).
7) Replace all brake shoes, some are getting kind'a worn.
9) Change fuel filters
10) Change oil
12) Change/clean crankcase ventilation filter
13) Change air filter
14) Replace low-air pressure switch (doesn't work at temps below 20)
15) Fix back padding on companion seat.
16) Small fuel leak near injection pump.
17) Replace radiator cap (appears to be leaking from time to time)
18) Tighten all belts (fan and compressor)
19) Check transmission (hard to shift at times)
20) Finish painting
21) Replace bed with M756 one.
22) Fix return spring on exhaust brake (don't need it much, but..)
23) Make removable rear part for bikini top.
24) Install clock (have russian military "tank" clock from ebay)
25) Fix fuel gauge (use dip stick in tank now)
26) Do something with engine cooling fan (too efficient)
27) Replace battery box
28) Fix flame heater. Never worked after conversion to turbo. At one time the nozzle actually leaked fuel into intake manifold. Lines disconnected now.
29) Batteries are getting old and should probably be replaced.
30) Also a couple of new tires, but I better stop, this is getting scary. :eyes: tell me about it- our lists our eerily similar:

1) Windshield wipers blades, need motor for both sides.
3) Fix passenger side window (hard to crank up and down, hits on soft top frame)
4) Fixed turn signal and lights (failed in the pitch black on the way home)
9) Change fuel filters
10) Change oil
13) Change air filter
15) Fixed padding on all seats
19) Check transmission (hard to get into second gear)
20) Finish painting axles, inner windshield frames, floor
28) Fix flame heater? possibly, need to check it first
30) need new tires

31) finish rigging up pinion parking brake

32) install chain from steering wheel to brake pedal, preventing both braking and steering :yeah:

33) finish heater install by drilling holes for all those silly little winter front retainer clips

34) replace output seal on t-case

35) buy and install REB shift kit for t-case

36) buy and install selectro hubs

MVtrucker

>29) Batteries are getting old and should probably be replaced.
I'm sick of replacing the 6TL batteries, they don't last long. This is probably due to to inactivity, I don't get to drive the MV's often, but I do start them about once a week to charge the batts. When the 6TL's in my M35A2 took a dump, I replaced them with Optima Yellow Tops. There are battery box adapters available, though I just made my own from a piece of 2x10". The Optima batteries are much smaller and not as high. With a little rigging, the original hold down and J-bolts can be used. The Optimas are supposed to last longer, even with infrequent use. Two batts down, seventeen to go...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe,
Get yourself a pair of $60 batteries and a Chargetek 500 ($99). :) That's what I did. My batteries are going on 5 years now. Always keep them plugged in when vehicle is parked. The batteries are performing well, just old, and that makes me a bit uneasy when on the road.

MVtrucker

Bjorn,
Thanks for the tip. I went to their site and checked out the chargers. Problem is, my facility does not have electric service available where many of my MV's are parked. I thought about solar trickle chargers, but they failed to make the batteries in my motor home last more than three years. A while back there was a discussion on the List about chargers that supply a modulating charge and this is supposed to make batteries last longer. I recall going to the web site and reading about them, but that was a couple of years ago and I no longer have the info. I'm hoping the Optimas work for me, it sure is a sinking feeling when I hit the starter button on a Cummins and get a thunk, indicating four more 6TL's have taken a dump.

MVtrucker

The Interstate 6TL's last me about two to three years. When they go bad, I can barely get a specific gravity reading on all most cells. On a rare occasion, a long, slow charge gets a little more life out of them. I recently read on a web site that the mil-spec 6TL only has a projected life span of two years. I've had to replace several within their first year of service. At least Interstate did cover them under warranty with replacements. I just replaced a civvy battery in my 1952 Ford tractor. Only the third battery since the nineteen eighties when we converted it to 12 volts. This tractor sits for weeks on end, but those batteries sure served me well. Rare.