• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce's transfer case... what a surprise!

scootertrs

I had been working on most of my auxiliary systems of my deuce fire truck thinking that my core (or mechanical) heart was good to go. As I was leaving my shop, I tried to get it into low gear ... just to try it... It would not go... in fact all it would do was grind a bit as I tried to put it into low gear... long story short, I believed it was just an adjustment to the low-high shifter lever... until I saw that the input shaft of the transfer case was moving up and down and side to side while I tried to engage it... Interestingly enough, truck would drive great in high gear... When I saw the transfer case input shaft moving about, I decided to take her down and not a moment too soon... there was not a single bearing in the entire transfer case that was any good.../ most if not all had plating flaking or like the input shaft bearing, the cage was almost totally destroyed. Had I gone on the highway with this transfer case, lord only knows how bad it would have been... luckily, all gears were great, shift forks also, and all I had to replace was the bearings and the seals. I attach a copy of my invoice from Blair Bearing in Miami where JR was able to source all or the bearings I needed (USA manuf). There were 4 other bearings that were necessary, and those were part of a kit with the gaskets that Rob, from Sarafan mil trucks in Ft. Laud, ... all good people to deal with. BTW some of the mil seals were not available but I was able to place 2 civilian seals in their place...

Attachments