• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Diesel Air Compressor MOD Job!!

goldneagle

I went down on Wednesday a couple of weeks ago and got my Air Compressor using my Crown Vic and a rented trailer from U_Haul. The little air compressor generator trailer fit nicely in the back of the 5x9 open trailer. Only bad thing was that I slipped on the wet trailer bed and landed on my ass with the trailer tongue on top of me. My tail bone is still sore today!

The trip was uneventful and i got home by 12:30 PM and got the trailer returned before the 24 hrs were over. So the trailer ended up costing about $35 for the trip.

When I checked the air compressor the next day I noticed the fuel pump was missing. Ended up getting a 12 electric fuel pump from NAPA along with some fitting for the hoses. Once I got the pump hooked up and the battery connected I tried to start the generator.

It ran for 20 seconds and died. It took me 4 hours of head scratching and tracing fuel lines, removing the injector and taking the top of the IP before i was finally able to run engine. The good news is it makes air. I had it going up to 180PSI. Nice unit! Needs one of the filters replaced. Hard to find it but one place is selling them by the case - so I may have to buy a case of 12 to get them!

I just finished adding additional output regulators and quick connects to the tank so I can run multiple air tools at the same time and at different pressures. One of them is big enough to run the hose for the 1" impact gun.

I think I did well with this purchase. It's a really nice Air Compressor! It has a 1 cylinder Deutz Diesel Engine. 15 CFm @ 150-200 PSI.

Attachments

Last edited:

goldneagle

Once I had the compressor working properly i decided to add additional hose connectors to it so I can run multiple tools that use different pressures at the same time. I noticed that the tank drain valve was connected to a port on the end of the air tank instead of the bottom. After close observation I also found a Bottom Drain plug. I decided to remove the existing connection at the end of the tank and install a pipe and elbow -so i could use that connection to feed a manifold block.

I purchased a really nice Aluminum manifold block off Ebay. It had 2x 1/2" inputs and 3x 3/8" outputs. I ran brass pipes from the elbow just installed to the shutoff valve and then up to the manifold. Using adapters and other fittings I managed to attach 3x 3/8" Pressure regulators with liquid filled gauges. I installed a 1/2" quick connect on the largest one to use to feed my 1" impact driver. I install 2 standard 1/4" quick connects for the regular tools.

I noticed that the assembly needed additional supports do to the length of the connections coming out of the manifold block. After searching my shop for a while I decided to make the supports out of some surplus copper tubing I had left over from my Heat Pump installation. I bent and flattened the copper tube to make brackets to support the 3 air line assemblies. They came out great!!!

I tried to remove the brass plug from the bottom of the tank but it kept stripping. I drilled it and used an extractor to remove the plug. i installed a wire pull drain bleeder valve on the bottom of the tank. I ran some 1/4" copper tubing as a wire guide along the side of the compressor enclosure to the top on the panel for easy access.

Once I had the setup assembled and supported i decided to build an enclosure around it to protect it from the weather and abuse. i found some aluminum paint shields that I was not using and took the flat sheets off them. I used the 2 pieces to make the perimeter of the enclosure. I used folded aluminum roll stock to make the rest of the enclosure. I bought to solid brass hasps to secure the lid. I painted most of the enclosure OD. I left some of the copper tubing and pars unpainted so you can see them better in the pictures. I will paint everything OD once all the pictures are taken and the weather permits. See all the pictures for details.

Attachments