• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my electronics shelter trailer/ camper project.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice modification.
A little pricey but one of these boxes mounted above the wheel on each side would dress it up.

jamieboy

It looks like you have a great start on it. Are you going to use it for communications or for camping,etc.??
Would also love to see some inside photos as you move forward on the project. Good luck on it.:-D

army_nurse

i will be using it mostly for camping. i will have my FT=8900 quad band set up in it for 10m, 6m, 2m, & 70cm FM work. am planning on getting a kenwood ts-2000 some time in the spring so my son and i can do some HF traffic and work the sats. so i guess the answer is both comms and camping. for me they go hand in hand.

P.S. keep up the posts and suggestions they are great. and i might get some of those drop down boxes. good tip.

army_nurse

update

i will be going on my first trip with the camper/trailer. i will post pics later tonight of the breaker box and with the new white interior. it turned out pretty nice. will take pics on monday as well after setting up for camp. i know, i know, i know..........nopics

armytruck63

How did the trailer handle on the higway and on curves? Did you hit any cross winds? I only ask because the set up looks a little top heavy to me, but that depends on where the actual center of gravity is.

army_nurse

it did fine on the highway however i did slow down on bumpy roads. had some stiff cross winds. went down highway 2 to robbers cave state park so it handled the curves well at the speed limit. i am planning to put wider tires on however just to make me feel better. it is very light i can pick the pintle up with one hand and go walking off with it. i also have plans to put some outrigger style leveling jacks on it as well. once again any suggestions or comments are welcome. and sorry about the pics being so mixed up dont know why they loaded that way.

army_nurse

i used some chain and some 6000 pound chain booms, bolted the chain to the eyes on the frount and back of the skids and then used chain booms to pull it in tight via the tie downs on the front and back of the trailer frame. this shelter was 1600 across the scales at MacAlester GL scales. maybe took out about 100 pounds of shelfs and nuts, and bolts.