• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my fiberglass is starting to lose paint

edpdx

I'm getting ready to prep the M1009 for paint; but I see the white fiberglass showing through in a couple of spots. How do I repair or prep this before spraying the new 383 paint on?

91W350

I have one doing that also and it appears like the top is fraying out, like they failed to seal it or there is a resin dry spot. Having done some limited boat repair, I too wonder if it needs a coat of something to seal it off again. Mine feels like the top almost has a bubble there, like the layers are separating. Glen

Westech

CPL
If the fiberglass is all fraying out then you need to sand it down and apply a gel coat or (what I use on tops) just the liquid mix from a bondo fiberglass kit. Let it harden for a day and sand it like body filler, prime and paint. If the top has some Major damage you will have to cut it out and repair it with fiberglass. Really for a blazer top its not worth it, you can get good used ones for almost free.