• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First LMTV - M1078 A1 - Fluid Questions

coachgeo

For completeness and follow up... the leak is the front main seal.

...now to fix it and replace other items while I have it apart. Harmonic balancer or I think Cat calls it an engine dampener, is on the list.

Sully
that makes no sense... diesel engine lubricant oil turns black nearly instantly once it is fired up. if the wrong oil is in it...... aka.. hydraulic oil?? then the seal may not hold that and it may not blacken???

Have you drained any engine oil to see what is in it.? IF it has the wrong oil in it...... then hmmmmm... maybe your lucky and with right oil the seal will swell properly and leak goes away... ... or maybe your very UNLUCKY and will need a new engine cause it has been driven with wrong oil in her?

Sully LMTV

Have you drained any engine oil to see what is in it.?
I haven't had much time to drive or work on it the last couple months (work is taking priority). And, no I haven't drained it yet, but bought the oil and filter to change it this weekend.
Wow - I haven't considered it may have something other than engine oil in it. That's scary! Thanks for chiming in.

Sully

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I haven't had much time to drive or work on it the last couple months (work is taking priority). And, no I haven't drained it yet, but bought the oil and filter to change it this weekend.
Wow - I haven't considered it may have something other than engine oil in it. That's scary! Thanks for chiming in.

Sully
So, there are options for knowing what is in your truck. You bought it from an individual that had gotten your truck by way of auction if I read correctly. By chance has he changed fluids in the truck - or added some?

Lubricants... Just remember, if it was working before - changing it to something else may not improve your situation. The military has plenty of money. If they thought 10 kinds of oil would make it better, your tax dollars would have paid for it.

If you have a burning desire to know what is in your oil - other than oil - or to confirm what is really in the pan, you can gather a sample and send it off for analysis.

Blackstone Laboratories, Inc. in Fort Wayne, Indiana is one option. You can search for them online, fill out a form and they will send you sample bottles and instructions on how to return them for examination.

To find threads about the process and others experience with their service, search with just the word "blackstone" in the SS search.

Not affiliated with Blackstone or paid for my opinion!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks