• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first M998: Fixing her up

1000eemonarch

>> Not my video.. Smoke starts at 2:23

Yep, great video of the pesky pushbutton MLS doing it's thing! I did watch it when I was researching these things... No arguments, there is plenty of evidence that the pushbutton MLS spontaneously combusts.

My theory is that these failures are from the G1 version (9375-00117) not having overload protection.... And I'm curious if the G3 (9375-00311) version is immune from failure. Still too early for me to jump to any conclusions yet, I'm experimenting and learning. I'm planning on doing some bench test experiments and make videos....

BTW I'm still trying to fully understand the M998 wiring, especially the lack of fuses and circuit breakers that are usually omnipresent in vehicles.

>> might as well install a keyed ignition switch too

Yeah, maybe. If I was worried about theft, I'd probably go with something more sophisticated, the keyed ignition is silly IMHO as the wires are dangling in the back, easy to get to and jumper. I'm currently using the "steering wheel chain and lock" security system that she came with from the National Guard when I go to the liquor store to get beer :cool:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1000eemonarch, you misunderstood the keyed ignition comment.

Pushbutton LED and keyed ignitions are sources of constant electrical issues on HMMWV's. No one was telling you to install one.

Last edited:

1000eemonarch

>> Pushbutton LED and keyed ignitions are sources of constant elecctrical issues on HMMWV's.

Got it. I was not aware, had not researched it, as I have not gotten the urge to add a keyed ignition. Thanks for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks