• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my first MV, 1986 M1008

appellandscaping

my name is jason appel out of southern PA. im 19 and my dad gave me the chance to buy this 1986 M1008 from him, so i did.we picked it up at FT. Meade. and a week later i did all the body work n painted it and new tires and wheels. im looking to find info about this truck like how i can run electronics in it like a CB. or somthing since it runs 24 volt. and im looking for a tarp cover for it too if anyone has one for sale.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason,
Nice truck! Check voltage prior to connecting anything to fuse block. See photo.

84cucv1ton

to think of it, i remember talking with you guys. picked up my m1028 the same time. nice looking truck good luck with it.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Your truck looks good! You clearly treat it well, and I hope that it will treat you well, too.

Is your dad on this forum, too? If so, what's his screen name?

appellandscaping

thanks guys im real happy with it and my dads screen name is jcappeljr. he said you guys would probably make fun of my wheels. and does anyone know if the 6.2's have any problems?

CCATLETT1984

the only thing that is 24v on the cucv is the starter itself, teh glowplugs run through a dropping resistor fed from the 24v (just so they have power if slave starting from another truck) everything else is 12v.

CCATLETT1984

appellandscaping said:
thanks guys im real happy with it and my dads screen name is jcappeljr. he said you guys would probably make fun of my wheels. and does anyone know if the 6.2's have any problems?
The 6.2 is a good engine. its not a powerhouse, never was meant to be one.

The biggest thing to watch for is the damper on the front of the engine, behind the crank pully. its made of two pieces of metal fused together with rubber. If you see that part wobbling around or chunks of rubber missing, you need to change it before something bad happens.

galeo7171

CCATLETT1984 said:
appellandscaping said:
The 6.2 is a good engine. its not a powerhouse, never was meant to be one.

The biggest thing to watch for is the damper on the front of the engine, behind the crank pully. its made of two pieces of metal fused together with rubber. If you see that part wobbling around or chunks of rubber missing, you need to change it before something bad happens.

Please explain the damper a little more. When I had the m1009 running yesterday, I was searching for the chirp that my engine was making. I watched the belts and noticed that one of the pulleys, can't remember which one (maybe even more than one), was a little wobbly. Is this what youre talking about? If so, where do I buy a replacement.

CCATLETT1984

the damper is directly behind the Crankshaft pulley (the lowest one, right below the fan pulley) if your alternator pulleys are wobbling that may be a sign that they need to be gone through as the bearings might be bad.

galeo7171

I'll go look at them more closely. I'm thinking that the lowest pulley was the one wobbling...which one would this be, and how to replace it?

CCATLETT1984

ok, now look closely, is just the pulley wobbling, or is the damper behind it wobbling as well. If its just the pulley and not wobbling more than 1/8" i wouldnt worry about it. If the damper is wobbling as well you can get a new damper from the GM dealer.

galeo7171

I'll look at after work in about an hour. What is the exact name of the damper, so when I go to the parts counter I won't look like a total moron.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks