• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Horny Deuce ( and fix the turbo oil leak )

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I got off my butt and replaced the leaking gasket between the turbo oil outlet and the oil return tube. It was not as hard as I thought, and getting at it required the removal of the slobber hose, flame heater spray nozzle, and fuel/brake vent tube. Then the metal draft tube was able to be moved out of the way with only slight dificulty. The hardest part was scraping the old gasket off, since it stuck to the bottom of the turbo. I used a windshield scraper of the razor blade kind as used for removing inspection stickers. I was able to tell by feel when it was completely clean. BTW don't feel around under there and have the razor blade tool near there at the same time. Besides the leak, the thing that prompted me to investigate this was that one bolt, found loose after having the truck serviced professionally, seemed to be tight but still turning. That can indicate a cross-tread or other ugly scenario. What I found when I removed the bolt was a thin 'shard' of steel, aboit 1/4" long and maybe 0.005 diameter, looped halfway around one thread of the bolt about 1/2" from the head. I don't know where this came from, but removing it and cleaning the bolt fixed this all right up and the bolt tightened normally. This tells me the reassembly after the paid job was dirty, not clean. Well, everyone makes mistakes.

But on to the horny part.

While I was at it and being very satisfied with myself for not paying anyone to do it (my back is complaining now), I removed the original horns, and put a 30" air horn in. I did not know if the horn worked or not, so I tested it beforehand with some butane from one of those canisters used for refilling lighters, and it worked very well.

Then I decided to see if it would shoot fire out the end if I lit it. The answer is "yes, but don't do this in the living room" :shock:

I don't know whether the horn is from a locomotive or a semi truck, but it is extremely louder and lower frequency than the original horns and I guarantee it is not making the polite "excuse me" tone of the opriginal horns. To make this all fit, I used the original solenoid which was removed with some difficulty from the original horn assy, and attached it to the original horn mount with some HVAC strap using a screw and loop technique to tighten the strap, and then I made some horn brackets from sheet aluminum saved from the scrapping of old electronics gear. The horn has one bracket at the rear, and then at the front, I drilled two holes on the edge of the bell and fitted another bracket there. The horn tilts down so that any water will run back out of it. I realize It is better to have the bell hung by a loop of metal, but this was not available. The sound was not harmed by using the edge of the bell as a mount point. To go from the solenoid valve to the horn's input, I used hose barb fittings and 1/4" hose. It would have been better to use a straight plumbing adapter, but none was on hand and the hose is only 2' long, so I don't think there is an issue, especially considering the internal diameter of the deuce horn solenoid valve orifice opening is only about 1/8" at best. The horn is under the hood like the old one. Since it is chrome and that is against my rules, I have to keep this hidden. I don't know of paint that will stick to chrome.

I await the chance to use it in traffic. :twisted:

Opie

Then I decided to see if it would shoot fire out the end if I lit it. The answer is "yes, but don't do this in the living room" :shock:
OPCOM, Are you an Eagle Scout? That sounds just like smoething we'd do at Boy Scout summer camp!

Opie
Eagle Scout 1987

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: My Horny Deuce ( and fix the turbo oil leak )

For some reason I dropped out of scouting and I suppose went into science and electonics. My brother Rick made Eagle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks