• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1008 wanna-be clone

hillbillygmc

Here's my M1008 clone build.....sort of. A little history on the truck,

I bought it about 6 years ago for $500. It's an 84 GMC High Sierra. I didn't intend to make a M1008 clone out of it but I've since seen them and fell in love. I was going to do just a standard off-road power build.
It ran, but was in rough shape. A crap load of the body was rusted out and I did a ton of sheet metal work. The motor was a tired 305. Pulled that out. The tranny is a 700R4. Had that rebuilt. The axles were the stock K10 turds. Pulled those out and bought a set of M1008 axles (I wanted the beefier axles and the 4.56 geear ratio). Installed a 6" lift. I pulled everything but the cab off to do a decent restoration/build-up on the truck. Just got finished grinding down the frame and front axle and painted 'em with KBS. Going to start putting her back together. Hoping to be done by the fall. Still have to pretty up the rear axle, throw on the dual shock set up on each wheel. Throw in the motor and tranny (the motor is a brand new GM 350 H.O. crate engine.....I wanted to build a 383 but it would have cost too much. Would have liked to put in a deisel but I've never worked on a deisel, plus the conversion costs are quite high). After that, put in the new dual exhaust system, then throw the body panels and bed back on. After that, I'll be ready to paint. Got rattle cans of GCI. I hate bodywork so I'm not looking forward to it. I would like to spray it on with a gun and compressor but I've never painted before and don't want to risk it. She'll be rolling on 37" wranglers. I've already bought everthing so it's a matter of getting 'r done. Here's where I'm at right now. I'll keep posting words and pics of the progress.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks