• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 RAN tonight !!! still have some ????

84cucv

She ran guys!! it was dead GP. They are new so i over looked that, guess i was sold bad plugs. Now on to the questions. I did some testing also. 25V in top and bottom of relay. i thought it should be 12V out the bottom of the relay. After running i get 29v out top and bottom. Does this mean the gp are getting full 29v? I not sure anymore. Kinda confused myself with what i was reading on the meter. thanks for the help guys!!!

mike

CCATLETT1984

YES, The resister bank that is on the firewall should be dropping the voltage to 12v BEFORE it gets to the GP relay, 25v means that this resistor bank is prolly dead, the easy fix is to move the wire from the drivers side of the resistor to the 12v power lug on your firewall, IF YOU RAN THE PLUGS WITH 24V THEN THEY ARE PROLLY DEAD, and i bet your gp controller card has a burnt transistor on it (Mangus and I have been experimenting with repairing them)

84cucv

You said to put it on the 12v power lug on your firewall. that is the black plastic thing above the relay right?? 12v lug is the bigger one right? Thanks for the help

mike

Taz

If I am not mistaken, you willl measure 24 plus volts at the glow plug relay when the glow plugs are off. It will start at 24 volts , then rapidly drop to to a little over 12 volts AFTER voltage starts flowing (with the relay energized). Seems like I read that one reason for the military doing this is that it would hit the glow plugs with high voltage momentarily to help them heat quicker. Hope this helps

muddobber40

TAZ- it is supposed to be no more than 15V prior to the relay according(i think..its been awhile since I read it) to the TM's-shows the resistor pack is supposed to have 0.28 ohm's resistance. also..I am sending you a PM...need some parts possibly

84cucv

Just checked it. 25v into the top of the relay. 1.0 out the bottom and at the gp ends. I was thinking the resister was going to bring it down to 12v. wow, i am getting confused. Sorry guys i am over my head i think. I am so confused....
thanks

CCATLETT1984

pull a gp and check it, you might be lucky and the transistor on the controller card might have blown first. should be very low ohms resistance. the main reason for the resistor is that without it you would be unable to jumpstart the truck with a slave cable (24v) the resistor also allows that load to be spread across both of the batteries.
The reason not to have the gp's on when the truck is running is that they are meant to get 12volts not the 14-16 that the truck produces while running, the increased voltage will overheat the plugs quickly and they might swell, let alone burn out a lot faster.

85-m1028

with my truck I was frying plugs even with it hooked up to the 12v block, thats why I converted to the civy controler with a 12v conversion and never looked back!!, I'd say get some 1/4" female tang connectors and some delco 60G's and swap em in

CCATLETT1984

put a multimeter one the wire contacts on each side of the resistor, should get the resistance stated in the above post, the voltage prolly killed the voltage sense chip on the controller card (this would make the GP's not cycle at all, I found out that one the hard way.) the relay might also be blown.

84cucv

OK thx guys. got new 60gs in there now and on the 12v block. took a while but it did start. Maybe the fuel in it from cranking?? Big clound came out the back. guess we will see mike