• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My m1009

Scottm2707

Hi guys. I’m new to the group and would like some tips and know-how on my rig. Got it in Surgis S.D at an auction and drove her all the way back to Green Bay Wi. ( Quite slowly at that, wondering if that’s the norm too). About 60,000 original miles and runs like a top and starts every time. First off I wanna start with, had anyone modified the rear bumper to pull more? Got a 5000 lb camper I would love to tow with it but not sure how it will handle

pmramsey

The bumper/hitch, everything about the vehicle is designed for an M101 3/4-ton trailer. That is a long way from 5,000 lb trailer. The front and rear axels are 3.08s unlike the 4.56 gears on the pickup models. The engine does not have a turbo. The horsepower is 140 and the foot-lbs available are 200. Your M1009, when maintained, is a dependable off road 45mph vehicle with the ability to run at 55-60 mph. You might benefit from downloading the manuals for it from this website. Good luck.

Scottm2707

I got the manuals and I read the specs, some groups say that the low rating is because of the pintle hitch that was on it and the way it was mounted. The police department in sturgis put a Reece hitch and 2 inch ball it when they had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codematic

Hi guys. I’m new to the group and would like some tips and know-how on my rig. Got it in Surgis S.D at an auction and drove her all the way back to Green Bay Wi. ( Quite slowly at that, wondering if that’s the norm too). About 60,000 original miles and runs like a top and starts every time. First off I wanna start with, had anyone modified the rear bumper to pull more? Got a 5000 lb camper I would love to tow with it but not sure how it will handle
i have 2 CUCV M1009... i wouldnt pull anything more than a small trailer... they are horribly underpowered and really arent suited for that kind of towing... even if it towed it stopping is gonna be sketchy.. ( trailer brakes i know, but you still need to stop if they fail)

you say it was slow driving back.. how slow?.. mine will do about 65 but will bitch hard about it.. they like 55-60 just fine..

Scottm2707

Yeah at 65 she is screamin. I’ve heard of ppl swapping out the 6.2 for a Cummins. Lots of questions here haha. Just had a bolt yanked out that broke off the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssdvc

My M1009 cruises nicely at 65mph and will even do short distances above that (70-75) with no problems. However, the short wheelbase of this truck makes things slightly twitchy at higher speeds. I have trailered about 2000 lbs. up here in the hills of the Northeast with little issue. More than that, without a power adder or a different engine, and I am sure you will eventually run into issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks