• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M813 gets a turbo!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-An update on the suppressor paint that I used on the hot parts:

When I got the truck out of outdoor winter hibernation I noticed some surface rust on the turbo compressor scroll and on the exhaust port flanges. Most of the rust on the turbo was due to the coolant filter dripping some rusty coolant as I went down the road and this brushed off with a brass bristle brush. The rust on the exhaust port flanges looked like a result of the paint being too thin and having no primer. A thicker application of paint would help here.

20220329_170201.jpg

20220329_170212.jpg

After brushing off the rust I dabbed on some more paint with a cotton ball. So far the paint has held up to 900°F temps and held its color in the sun. I think I just needed some heavier coats in a few places.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently I've noticed that as the rpms get to around 1800 the red indicator of the filter minder starts to float up as the turbo is screaming for more air. The gauge does not max out and the filter is clean. I didn't see this behavior with the stock tires but with the 16.00s it's definitely a thing although I'm not sure if the two are related.

This is what I'm running into and was expecting:
20180707_172051.jpg

The air cleaner is only good for 550 cfm and the BHT3B can flow 1100 cfm so I'm told.

I guess I have two options; I could modify the canister and use a free flowing filter or I could put a stiffer spring in my filter minder to keep that red indicator happy....lol.

hethead

I could see a man of your skill set lenthening that filter housing and putting in a longer element. Or something along those lines... I temporarily have a big K&N on my turbo but long term, I'll probably end up running two housings tee'd together. I'll enjoy watching what you come up with.

Chief Gantt

Went out today and made a run for 10 miles. Top speed was 64 on 395’s, running a T46, short low profile charge tube over top of engine, top port intake instead of the factory side port, swapped from 45 to a 35 plunger in the pump (still have a 25, 20 and a 17 if I want more fuel) but felt great, great throttle response, plenty of power, 800 degrees at 12 pounds of boost unloaded with full throttle at 64mph. No extreme coal smoke either, just a tad on acceleration.

Attachments

Chief Gantt

Nice work! Would love to see how the exhaust out the back worked out and how the cross over pipe and the hood scoop was done.
Here you go. Under cab , I wrapped the exhaust in header wrap to reduce the heat through the floor. Used a A2 spare tire rack for the larger supers, welded exhaust hangers to it. This is 5 inch exhaust.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks