• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M818 is weeping

M221

My M818 is weeping. :cry:

I've searched postings to find a related problem but no luck. It seems my truck is sad because it hasn't been driven in a while.

It had a depo rebuild in 89 but since has only 450 miles drive time and about 12 hours run time.

My problem is the metal housing that receives the upper radiator hose. This housing has 4 bolts going through it and I assume houses the thermostat.

Between this housing and the other half that is next to the block must be a gasket. It has a leak at this junction. The bolts are tight and every thing looks as it should. With the exception of the leak.

I'm really wondering why it would be leaking and what would be the best things to do to fix this problem.

I don't know how to turn on my cookie machine so I can download the TMs but I'm still learning.

Thanks for any and all help.

davidkroberts

sounds like the gasket has just gotten old and gone south. Pull the old gasket and go to Napa I bet dollars to doughnuts its a common size for something else Cummins makes. Get a new one put gasket goo on it and let it setup. When its ready put it back together and torque to spec and see what happens. If it still leaks then your housing is warped and you need a replacement..... maybe.

hard to tell you what you need to do without it right in front of me but thats all i got. Please post pics of the housing while leaking so the real meachanics on here can tell you just what you need....... Im just a hobby guy not a diesel mechanic although after messing with the Detroit Diesel in my Gama Goat im probably close.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before reasembly you can layout a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the housing back and forth. This will reveal if the housing is warped or not. If it is then sand until the surface is level. I have done this countless times with fuel pumps.