• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new 5ton project..

madsam

Ok, some of you knew I got an parts truck. Well the fixer in me has got the better of me. My parts truck was in good shape except no engine or tranny. Well I got a wild hair and found a detroit 8v92 engine to rebuild. I finally got it here. It is hanging on my wrecker as we speak. Twin stacks, all chromed out with 430hp, and make it shiny OD. (It will never be a collector anyway.) I will either get a cheap Alison to put behind the engine or an Eaton 8, (What ever is cheaper.) The question I have not answered is will it be a bobbed 5ton.

So I thought I would start this thread to log my progress.

P.S. Don't expect things to happen fast.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

I say definately UN-bobbed!

By bobbing it, you'd be removing all positive attributes that come with having a 430hp 6x6 14' cargo truck. Its not like you live in an urban environment that requires a shorter turning radius:p

madsam

Saw this intake on a boat engine. I wonder if it would work on a truck or would it not handle the dust?

Attachments

madsam

I have looked at the engine more closely and now and I see one rod cap and one main barring cap missing. There is also the drivers side exhaust manifold as well as the oil pan. So I have to find all those parts. The barrings look good. No scratching and shiny.

My assumption is that someone took them off to check the barrings then never put them back on. :cry:

scooter01922

On that intake..... Looks like a pretty generic filter strapped onto the turbo intake. They make them in all sizes and shapes. I'm positive you could find one that will fit and handle the dust and crud. May need to clean it off more often than a huge filter like the 5 ton has originally but then again those ones are usually reusable after a quick cleaning unlike the originals.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. That filter will take the dust, and "dusting it off" is easy, even with a 'helper' hose from the truck. They are meant for heavy service and ease of cleaning.

2. Why would you want to 'bob' a good truck? Its a 5 ton, want a heavy pick-up, go get a dodge ram or some such thing. Besides, the 5 ton now justifies the existance of the wrecker. (at least mine does, and the wife agreed, when the local AAA driver said "you'd want us to tow WHAT?")

3. Leave it tandem, its more fun,and it will cost less to leave it than 'bob it' But no matter what, yoou decide, enjoy it.

madsam

Well,, I found out that my boom will not go under my garage door. So in trying to swing-push-move the engine in the garage, it fell of the palette and rolled on its side. :evil:

I don't think it hurt anything, but I will look tomorrow. I to mad to look today.

I need to make a carrier for the engine... I don't think my engine hoist will pick it up.

madsam

Here is some pics of the engine and its issues so far.
1: no oil pan
2:missing main cap.
3:missing rod cap. (probably needs a new rod)
4:turbo is bad. the fins are damaged, so no rebuild unless I could find a rotter.
5:missing 1 exhaust manifold and tube.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks