• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009, with pics and questions...

ragedracer

First, fired right up. Runs great. Checked all fluids - full and clean. Tires needed a little air, but looked good (looks aren't everything!). One of the tires was a uniroyal, while the rest including the spare were goodyear wranglers. Took it for a spin, ran to the gas station to fill it up with fresh diesel. Only took 7 gallons. Was pretty full. Checked fluids, tires, etc again. Everything looking good.

Well, I was wrong! I made it about 1/2 mile from the station. Then BANG!! The LR tire blew out. The mismatched uniroyal. See pic at the end. It shredded! Put on the new spare (brand new with an 08 date code!) and made it home great.

There were only 6 issues with it that I can find. Some I solved, need your help with a couple.

1. Blackout light didn't work. Pulled the cover off, found it to be a bad bulb. New bulb installed and works fine now.

2. Voltmeter in dash didn't work. Pulled bezel off, found out it was just unplugged.

3. Transmission output rear seal is leaking. Gonna have to replace that when I change tranny fluid and filter.

Now for the items I need help with...

4. Heater blower doesn't work, but it's because someone pulled the heater fuse. Is there anything I should watch for when I put a new fuse in? I did jump it and fan blew strong, but I didn't want to leave it for too long.

5. The shifter position indicator doesn't work. It seems to all be there, but I'm not sure how to hook it up. It seems like something might be broken off the dash. How does the clamp hook up to the column? I tried reading the -20, but I couldn't find it.

6. See pics below. This piece is just hanging behind the brake pedal. It looks like it should go somewhere! It has a little piece the slides back and forth. I can't figure out where it goes or what it does. Any ideas on this one? I tried to take a close-up and one showing where it is "naturally" hanging.

A couple last questions - the visor indicates 30w oil with an SF/CC designation. I can't find that at the store. The counter guy recommended 15w-40. Is that what I should use, or should I stick with straight 30w? Remember I live in AZ, so it never gets really cold here. I just want to make sure I get it right. This is my first diesel, so I don't know if there are specifics I need to know. And lastly, what are the small rectangular lights in the bumpers for? I can't seem to get them to light up.

Thanks!!

rr

Attachments

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That first picture is of what you need to activate your backup lights. Sits on the column shaft near the firewall. They still sell those (NAPA,etc), the little rectangular lights in the back bumper are the blackout lights.

AJMBLAZER

Use Shell Rotella T 15w40 oil.
The visor is OLD school. The owners manual for this era truck still mentions bias ply tires as well so take a lot of the original info with a grain of salt.

HAWKMAN

For question #5. the shift quadrant attaches to the collar on the column which rotates when the shift handle is moved to put in gear.The nylon wire that connects the indicator to the collar on the column could either have broken or just has come unclipped from the collar, check to see if wire and clip are there and re-attach. Another problem could be that the plastic where the quadrant is mounted is broken if so the you might have to replace the speedo cluster housing that has an intact quadrant. Hope you find this info useful :D

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your instrument cluster housing is broken where the nylon lines pivot, you can insert a screw to act as the pivot point.However, you must file the metal bracket or else the nylon lines will fray, like mine!

ONTOS66

Congratulations on your toy - I'm sure it will provide you with many hours of bleeding knuckle bliss. :)

The shift indicator (as you may have noticed) is VERY LOW TECH - basically a piece of string and the indicator. Kinda like tuning Grandpas radio.

In the -20 go to: Instrument Cluster Maintenance page 4-16 and you'll find illustrations (and sort of directions) for remoning and installing the shift indicator. One of the points made when removing is to mark the location of things - well duhhhh - I'm sure they didn't so it will be by guess and by gosh in your case or as we said in tanks: SWAG (scientific wild assed guess)

The rectangular lights in front and rear bumpers are Blackout Marker lights (not to be confused with blackout drive). They provide a reference point for the vehicles in convoy to help in maintaining interval in the dark. With practice you can actually judge the approximate distance between you and the vehicle that you are following. Blackout drive, is the headlight assembly in the grill. It throws a weak and shielded but useable light in front of the driver.

Enjoy!

ragedracer

Thanks guys..

319: Thats exactly what I needed. I knew something was broken off the dash there, so I just need to do like you did and put a bolt there. As far as the little clip, does it get a screw or anything, or is just held on by friction?

I'll have to check the blackout marker light wiring. They are not coming on at all. Just have to do some wire tracing I guess. Also, I guess I will just put a new 20A fuse in the blower motor spot and see what happens.

Thanks again!

rr

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The little clip is held on by friction. I ended up replacing my entire steering column ($35) due to some fancy mechanical work by the Military. Nice thing is there is an abundance of civilian trucks at salvage yards available for parts.