• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new pile of parts

84cucv1ton

here is my 88 k5. full loaded k5. 5.7 tbi. all power and it has a sm465 with a hydro clutch. been trying to find a hydro 32 spline sm465 for a while. then i got this. for the price. had to bring it home. :razz: as you can see its had better days. the ring gear is messed up. has a 4" tuff country lift too. now i need to pull the th400/208 out of a m1009 and get started. i have never seen a 6.2 with a sm465 in a k5.

havw good day mike

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
here is my 88 k5. full loaded k5. 5.7 tbi. all power and it has a sm465 with a hydro clutch. been trying to find a hydro 32 spline sm465 for a while. then i got this. for the price. had to bring it home. :razz: as you can see its had better days. the ring gear is messed up. has a 4" tuff country lift too. now i need to pull the th400/208 out of a m1009 and get started. i have never seen a 6.2 with a sm465 in a k5.

havw good day mike
Looks like the pinion nut backed off and let the pinion move back into contact with the carrier. Wow was a manual tranny even an option in a blazer in 88...Or does it look homebrew?

Which transfercase does it have? 208?

84cucv1ton

yes, you can get it in a lot of years. now i have had a 84 86 and a 88 with the manual. have a 89 suburban with a manual. has a 208. get a round pattern 205. 1985 and up years i think, the 205 has the same bolt pattern. goes right on.

this k5 is all factory

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is cool, I have not seen a manual in anything later than a 78/79

I'd love to put one in my 1028A3

HAWKMAN

I cut up an '83 civy Blazer last year that was stick from the factory......floors were gone but a good parts truck none-the-less.:-D

Crash_AF

I have seen one or two 6.2/SM465 combos over the years... mostly they were in 1 tons, but I did see one 85 K5 that had one.

I'd love to have the side windows out of that cap if you're not going to use them, but I'll bet shipping out here would be prohibitive.

Later,
Joe

AJMBLAZER

The manuals were an option all the way to '91. Just weren't common but apparently ordered enough GM felt like keeping it as an option.

Oooooh, nerf bars...are those the Smittybilt ones that bolt to the frame? Got plans for them?

pevrs114

What are the pros and cons to the 10 spline output SM465 vs. the 28 spline output?

I've now got one of each and trying to figure out which would be better. I lucked across a new cab for my M1028 that just happened to be from a manual trans truck, so I got the pedals, pedal hanger, hydro clutch assy, bellhousing, pressure plate, SBC flywheel, and the 28 spline SM465.

Add that to the 10 spline SM465/NP205 combo at home and I'm trying to figure out which parts to use.

Croatan_Kid

The 10 spline stuff is coarse, not very good for tooth contact. Uses a drive sleeve and they tend to wear which creates driveline slack.

The 32 spline stuff is a direct coupling. Fine splines, better contact, way stronger, etc. :-D

pevrs114

Thanks for the info. Just have to find the correct adapter and I can use the 28 spline transmission. Got a line on another 205 with adapter for SM465, gonna email him and get some photos and figure out what the spline count is.

I had some serious rust issues on my M1028 cab, and while searching for a replacement cab I lucked out big time - I got the entire cab from a stick shift truck, so it's got the pedals already mounted, the master cylinder on the wall, the correct steering column, etc. A bit of body work, some tan CARC paint, some bedliner and interior, and in she goes!

Sure will be easy swapping the trans/t-case with the cab off!

Hardest part will be splicing the two wiring harnesses together - any idea what wiring is necessary to keep from the 6.2? Already looking to bypass the glow plug controller and do a push button controller. Also need to move over the hydroboost brake system...

Any other glaring things I'm missing?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks