• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Project

ltcboy

I think that I am starting to actually see light at the end of a very long tunnel. I have finally gotten the body of my M151A2 completley stripped down to a bare chasis. It is ready to get sandblasted. The motor is about 90% complete. All that is needed is to attatch the generator, tighten up the manifolds and then install the clutch and transmission. I have been very fortunate because the weather has been exceptionally mild. We have been taking advantage of that. There have been many hours racked up now into the MUTT, so I am looking forward to when it is finally complete.

You will think that I am nuts with the work that I have done. As far as the motor is concerned, it has been rebuilt. The crankshaft was machined, all new rod and main bearings (.10 over) were installed. The pistons and piston walls were fine. The Cam was fine. Carb has been rebuilt with a hard kit, new fuel pump, spark plugs & wires, distributor cap and rotor was replaced, new water pump, new master brake cylinder, new belts. The head was taken off, had a valve job done, flywheel was machined, new clutch kit, brake drums were machined, rebuilt trans with all new seals, both differential were taken out, rebuilt with new seals, all new u joints, new ball joints, new arm bushings, new shocks, new exhaust system, new brakes. Both front and rear wire harnesses are new. Radiator was pressure checked and repaired alongd with heater core.

I am going to completely sand blast the body, put Herculiner on the underbody and repaint and repair the body. Hopefully this can be done soon. I want this over with. Starting to feel consumed with it, but this keeps me out of trouble.

Here are some pics--

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ltcboy/M151A2Restoration/

Mike Conroy

Dieselsmoke

I need more 151A2s to restore. I love 'em, but seems all I can find anymore is complete junk or already restored. Looks like you've got a pretty nice body on that one. 8)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's really a good job you are doing there. I'm glad you are restoring the vehicle. It'll certainly make it las another 50 years!

ltcboy

Upon purchasing the MUTT, the guy in Georgia told me that this A2 came from Ft. Stewart. He told me that the guy before him owing it was a Sgt. Major and put all of this "work" into it. Upon retiring, all of the soldiers in the company stood at attention in two colums, saluted the Sgt Major as he rode this MUTT throught the gauntlet and then he was off and retired.

I took that story with a grain of salt. I am former Army and as most of you are aware, a Sgt Major never receives a salute. Upon receiving the vehilce, I discoverd it has a USMC bumper on it and upon furthe srutiny, I noticed a metal tag riveted upon the windshield stating that the vehicle went throught he USMC Restoration Depot in Barstow , Ca. in July of '85.

Sgt. Major........Ft. Stewart Army base........riding the "guantlet" one last time.....yeah hello!! :wink: :wink:

I plan on keeping it in full USMC configuration. I think that I would be ruining the history of this vehicle by removing the Barstow tag and making it into an Army Mutt just to meet my own desire to have an Army Mutt. She will stay USMC. I hope you all would agree with me.

MIke

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks