• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Swellman 070's

whatsagoodalias

Well, here's the story. I bought my M1008 a week or two ago and noticed from the very start that it was hard to start but ran like a bat out of **** after the initial hard start. During initial inspection I noticed 2 glow plug connectors had worked themselves off glow plugs, one on each bank. I reconnected thinking this might have been the hard start problem. Nope. So I pulled my glow plugs today to inspect. 6 were dead. 2 looked ok and would heat up when supplied 12V. 6 of my Wellman 070's were slightly swollen and seemed to have burst at the tips. I have heard on this forum that the resistor bank is load sensitive and that if glow plugs are disconnected it may supply more voltage to the remaining glow plugs. Anyone know the validity of this? Anyways here are some pics of my swollen no-swell Wellmans. aua

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your GP wiring is stock, it is a fact that one loose or bad GP will cause the rest to burn out.

You can eliminate this issue by resupplying the GP relay with 12 volts. If you supply with 12 volts, you wont be able to use the NATO slave port to start your CUCV, if it is cold and your front battery is totally dead.

This is a very simple modification, that I think is a good idea.(for most people)

whatsagoodalias

Thanks doghead! I'm not really worried about using the slave port, I have no MV friends locally and I don't even have a slave cable. I threw in some 60G's today (had to thin the connectors a bit) and it started right up. I think the 12v glow plug mod might be the first one I make.

jj

Yes, you should be quite happy with the 60G's. I put them in my 1009 two winters ago, along with a manual switch for the relay. The 60G's have so far taken ABUSE! I mean sometimes 30 or 45 seconds of "glow". I pulled them all out a few days ago and they all look and work new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks