• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My truck shocked me!!

Duckworthe

Hey Guys,
So I was working on my truck and as I was pulling on my wrenches I felt a poke or pinch on the back of my arm where it was touching metal. I thought that maybe it was just a sharp piece of metal but it wasn't. So what would cause this? never had this problem before. I added winches to the truck , so I unhooked that source from the batteries but still does it. It isn't hooked to any 115v source. It has to be DC voltage. I've never had this problem before. Could there be a + POS grounding out somewhere that I should hunt for? Wouldn't that drain my batteries or smoke a wire, create sharks? nothing like that is happening.
Any clue to what direction I should go would be great.
Thanks.
Eric

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
24 volts will make itself known, especially if you are a bit sweaty. You really didn't give many clues that would aid us to assist you.

dmetalmiki

It is quite possible to receive SEVERE electrical shocks from stationary vehicle components, Some people are more susceptible to this than others. If it is of a "static electric" shock event. A friend of mine just yesterday received a severe "whack" which stiffened his arm rigid for about 6 seconds, And he was in real pain for some time after the event. He was adjusting the alternator. So, yes, It does happen. One solution is to 'Ground' (earth) the vehicle before commencing work on it.

infidel got me

Like Tennmogger said sweat and electricity will do weird things. I got shocked and knocked to the ground trying to ground a fender mounted voltage regulator on an old ford we just put an engine in. Summertime and yes sweating like a hog.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electricity LOVES the minerals in sweat and causes the moisture to become more conductive.................... GROUNDING is "good" like dmetalmiki said!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it just tingled, it was probably 24v. I can feel it anytime I have to mess with my batteries if I use my free hand to support myself when my other hand is wrenching on one of the battery connectors.

FloridaAKM

The old farm electrical systems of yesteryear were 32vdc from the power system grid. They did kill a few people unfortunately due to folks not knowing that the low voltage could kill them.
Be careful around the 24vdc systems on these trucks as they can zap you when you least expect it. Most folks just shake it off, a person with a weakened heart or other health related issues can be killed by it!

Duckworthe

Thank you all for the input! Yet I will ground the truck to earth since I rides on high rubber. Lol. Was hoping that it wasn't a deep dark mystery ground somewhere. I had a class A coach that was hooked to 115v that has a ground and as I pulled in a wrench it was also electrocuting me. Wasn't fun thing. Didn't know if 12 or 24v dc would shock the same way. It was just a little sharp poke or punch. It isn't doing it now so maybe just sweat and static. But thank you again brothers.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something else that could cause that is working near a high tension power line. We used to have a box truck at work that I could not touch if it was parked on the west side of our parking lot due to the overhead power line. It would actually cause sparks to jump between my fingers and the truck. If parked next to the building, which is just 30 feet further away from the powerline, it wouldn't do it. It didn't happen to anyone else I worked with so they didn't believe me until I showed them the sparks arcing. We have had 30 different work trucks over the last 25 years there and that is the only one that ever did it.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I felt the exact same thing last week when installing the positive connector on my Humvee batteries recently. This is probably why most service manuals recommend disconnecting or reconnecting the negative post first and last. It should be disconnected first when planning to remove the positive connection, or connected last after connecting the positive. I did not follow that advice and got a tingle as you described.
Lesson learned, and thankfully cheaply.
Bulldogger

NovacaineFix

When I was younger and wrenching for a living, 12-24 volt DC systems really had not noticeable effect on or to me(not sure how that should be worded), with those rare time when I grabbed a spark plug or coil wire by accident.
For some reason as I am older, I can definitely feel that 12-24 volts, especially when it's hot. Like the others have said sweat = electrolytes = tingly feelings.

Be careful, just because it is considered low voltage doesn't mean it still can't hurt you.

giphy.gif

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks