• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery bottle under dash on firewall

StreetbikeDepot

I picked up a deuce today for parts that has a black bottle on the firewall under the dash next to the air service port behind the glovebox. Its a good sized bottle with a tube running down inside and a small screened inlet. Look like a windshield washer bottle to me, is that wat it is? The line runs to a valve of some sort under the dash by the steering column. Thats where the system ends. There looks like there is something missing on the valve (maybe a solenoid) and there are two cut wires in the harness there also. Any idea? I'll take some pice tomorrow.

Barrman

The only two trucks I have ever seen with the washer on them had the bottle near the steering column under the hood. The hand pump for the liquid was near the air cleaner warning sight glass inside. Show us some pictures.

stancanpara

What you describe sounds like what my brother has on his deuce. The difference being he has all of the windshield washer system intact. Though in my humble opinion, with the military wipers, it's a joke.

ida34

No.The ether goes under the hood on the driver's side. It would be very dangerous to have the ether in the cab. If it ever leaked the driver and passengers would fall asleep. Ether was uses as anesthesia.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
update?

ida34

That is the windshield washer bottle. I have never seen one in the cab and most are translucent white so you can see the lever. I have seen them under the hood on the driver's side fender.

stancanpara

Yes, they are "supposed" to be clear. What we have here is called "Filth" :p

As I thought. One of my brothers Deuce's has one in the cab like that as well.

I guess it's up to the dude in the shop to put it where he "feels" like putting it... :?:

Now you just need to get the rest of the "kit"!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old ford washers had the motor built in, a 12V one. When I had a POS 60's chrysler fury II in the late 70's, it had two dead holes and a spun bearing and so ran real bad and I had tailgater issues on the highway, so I put on one of these under the hood and filled it up with used transmission fluid, and ran a hose to the top of the carburetor. The result at 50MPH was amazing and always solved the "problem". First I'd floor the gas and the black smoke would come out of that poor old 318 running on 6 cylinders, as a warning. Then I'd push the button. Just amazing how it worked. Two dead holes also made sure that some oily spray accompanied the cloud, to serve as a free souvenir to the tailgater.