• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Natural Gas conversion 5K genset?

citizensoldier

Hey has anyone here ever converted a military 5k or any other military genset to Natural Gas? If so how did you do it and what did you use? Specs please? Or anyone know how it can be done as far as carb replacement and such.. Thank you..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been discussed on this forum, a search may be useful. I'm considering doing it also as an alternative to gasoline, actually started collecting parts for a wood gasifier....

dk8019

I would think it would be pretty easy. I purchased a kit a few years back to run mine from propane or NG as well as the standard gas system. All that was required was a small spacer to be mounted on the carb neck to allow the gas to feed in, it looked to me that just drilling and tapping a feed into the carb body before it enters the intake would be all that's needed. the metering device before hand was very simple as well. It's an easy thing to do with gensets due to the fact that the run at more or less one speed, and at a given load once you have them hooked up to what your powering. I monitored EGTs on NG vs. gas as the manual stated to set the mixture. I've now ran that cheap commercial generator off of NG for well over 200 hours now with no ill effect. Last time we lost power here in Ohio for a week it ran nonstop except for oil changes every 50 hours. I'm shocked how clean the oil is after 50 hours on load every time I change it, only wish I could run my cars easily off of it.

ida34

I have been wanting to do this conversion on one of my 10k gensets. If I do it will become a dedicated standby genset for the house. Imagine not having to fill the tank every few hours. :-D

I'm wanting to do this conversion. If I was to use type 3 that uses low pressure propane and NG would I still be able to use regular LP tanks like I have for my gas grill?

Will low pressure propane and NG produce as much power as high pressure, what im asking is will going with low pressure lower the output of the engine?

The reason id like to be able to use NG is that I can get it plumbed to my house very cheaply as a main is less then 200 feet from my home. But I also want the portability that Propane tanks provide.

What are the real differences between low pressure and high pressure LP? Is it all in the regulator?

derf

You should be able to use high or low pressure with the proper regulator.
I'm no expert on NG/LPG conversions, though.
I would like to state that you generally lose a %age of peak power when going from gasoline to NG or LPG.
I've seen NG/LPG conversion salesmen guys gloss over the loss of power and claim that converted gens run 10db quieter. The conversions generally run quieter, but I think 10db is exaggerated and I can not seem to find documented figures that show a 10db decrease in sound level.

IMO LGP/NG conversions offer convenience, long term storage benfits (LPG), are quieter, and are cleaner burning.
But, I think the people who sell conversions need to be up front about true efficiency, true gains in quietness, and true losses in gen power.

Please do you homework and if you do choose to convert, let us all know how quiet, powerful, and efficient the converted gen set is compared to the original gasoline setup.

Isaac-1

The problem with BBQ tanks is freeze up, it is a simple question of is there enough surface area in the tank to boil off the propane gas when using vapor extraction. One possible option is to use liquid extraction forklift style tanks with a vaporizer. I suggest looking over at the smokstak site for propane conversions this topic comes up very often.

Ike

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I couldn't find the thread I last posted in about a propane/nat gas conversion, so I will add to this one. I just picked up a Century G85 regulator today. Sometime soon, I will plumb it up to a gas source and to my genset and give it a whirl. Will let you all know of any progress.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Panzerwillie in South Fl has a MEP018 converted to NG.
Got my carb problem straightened out, turned out to be dirt after all. Starts right away again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks