• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NC new guy in a non-working CUCV

J872

Bought a M1009 about 2 weeks ago and keeping the thing running is a full-time job. I think the guy I bought it from jerry rigged a lot of electrical stuff and I have no idea where to start. I just replaced the starter (which was a 12V starter) with a 24v starter after it broke. Ran for 2 days then it is now not running again. Charged the batteries today and then went to start it and was surprised to find a fire and an electrical wire burnt in half. The truck has been struggling to start everyday on the first start, so I replaced glow plugs about 1 week ago and I was hoping this would fix it. I am at a loss for words and hoping to find help here. Pictures of the burnt wire are below.

What I have done so far:
Replaced all glow plugs, put in a new starter and new headlights.

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

dependable

Welcome to the site. You have a fried fuseable link. How it got that way is not clear. You mention a change from 12 to 24 V starter. Which way are batteries set up? (12 V parallel or 24V series) Would recommend you read the 'stickys' at top of CUCV forum.

You can get a lot of help on this site, but it works best if you try to check out the free info on site first so you will understand the answers to your questions.

Last edited:

michigandon

The electrical systems on these trucks were kinda quirky from the day they left the factory. Don't forget to check out the TMs on this site as well!

M923A1

Banned
You can replace the fusible link with a regular fast acting fuse holder {blade type or similar} that way you aren't cutting and crimping or soldering in a new link each time something goes up in smoke.

But ive always got the impression if u burnt a fusible link, something was really wrong. I once replaced the starter in my buick and had the main power wire touching the block. After a few miles it melted the jacket and fried the wire, shutting the whole car down. You might have something similar going on down there, with a recent starter change and all.

Best advice i can give is read the TM's like some sort of bible. They can be really frustrating to find what you need when you need it, so its best to try and look them over a couple times before you actually need one.

Welcome and good luck. Im new at this myself, at times its been pretty challenging.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start by focusing on the starter circuit. Grab the wiring diagrams that warthog has posted and trace out all componenrs

1. Battery wiring
2. Glow plug circuit
3. Starter ciruit
4. Figure out what circuit the fried wire is on

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks