• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need a M1009 Rear end

justinwregier

Looking to find a complete GM 10 bolt rear end for my M1009
(or compatible)

Atleast backing plate to backing plate, with functioning components throughout.

I am in NW Ohio and can travel a little ways as well as pay good for a working complete rear end.

Please only post solid leads or offers, My daily driver is on jack stands and I am looking to get rolling again soon.

Thank you

HAWKMAN

Complete, drum to drum....$200.00...a bit of a ride though...keep it in mind if you can't find anything else closer/cheaper..thanks:-D

justinwregier

First I just want to thank everyone for posting, it is really great to have this kind of communication! All the leads generated by this thread are great but after some thought and further research considering this repair a complete rear end from Coleman's is how I am going to go. I hope to get the whole thing going by next weekend and if I'm not to greasy I will snap some pics to post. Thanks again for the support.

Justin

Last edited:

justinwregier

Ive got a couple shots of this project, now that I have put the new rear end on the whole truck seems to drive smoother (obviously) so I am real glad for the repairs.
there is a picture of the damage to the spider gear, my CUCV without a rear end and the new one in a crate. VROOM! whole thing was about 8hrs of work with the U bolts giving me the most trouble and the parking brake just plain taking forever to swap out.
I do recommend Colemans thus far since the whole rear end was ready to be put it, just add fluid before you put it on since I remembered to late in the swap:idea: (I was excited) this saves the hassle of filling it from under the truck.
Thanks again for the support, posts and PMing

Attachments

dunedigger

I have an axle from colemans comming tomorrow and will be doing this same thing on Sat. Did the brakes look good when you took the drums off?

justinwregier

DUNEDIGGER

Haha:-D so call me trustworthy or crazy but once the crate came off the truck I got the impact wrench and went to town on all the bolts on the crate and threw the whole rear end in with out even checking it as fast as I could. These rear ends are out of circulation "back-ups" which should be ready to go... minus the dust of course but it probably is a good idea to have a look at the internals. The drums had these nice locking washers on some of the lug nut bolts so I didnt mess with the brakes at all and the 10 bolt stayed sealed because I didnt want to waste my extra gasket just to look at what should be solid since in 300 miles or so I will probably open up the diff anyway. Speaking of the diiferential I do suggest adding the fluid when the rear end is on the deck since I forgot to due to my excitement to have it on my M1009. This will save you such a head ache since either way you have to wait for the diff oil to trickle in there. Honestly the only part that wore me out was the parking brake which still needs 10 minutes of quarter turns to get back to the original spot. :idea:Maybe you can deligate this task to someone else? Also two floor jacks make this swap a breeze...

I cant say that your rear end will be perfect but after a week on mine I am satisfied and even excited to thrash on my truck this summer since there is a few axle assemblies out there that go right in. Anyway I had fun and I wish you the best with your project.

Hope my redundant rant could help:wink:
Justin

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks