• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on 5 ton

FrankUSMC

Just found a 5 ton tractor. It is a Gas model. It runs, but they are unsure of the brakes. What can any one tell me about them? This one looks good under the hood, with a little micky mouse wiring were they replaced the lighting system.
How good was the gas ones? It has some rust holes in the cab from the floor mats they put in and they trapped water, not to bad. The few things it is missing I have got, like the seats have been changed over to civilian air seats, but I can replace them.
One of the few, Frank

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even the gasser is a pretty stout truck. But at todays prices, feeding it will be high dollar. Is it cheep? The airpack is probally the coulprit on the brake problem. I'd go through the brakes with a fine tooth comb. Can you post some pics?

Towman2277

All I know is I have a gasser R6602, and tuned right, its pretty economical, especially when Diesel fuel is at $2.74 a gallon, and gas is only $2.16 where I live....and it pulls great! Mines making around 215 H.P., and thats all I need!!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have an M139 bridge truck with the 6602 in it. It is a strong engine, it can get down low on RPM and keeps pulling. We like it. The thing you have to watch with gas motors is if they have set too long without running, bearing erosion can happen from acids in the oil. This leads to bearing failure. If the motor has been run frequently to keep it dried out, no problem. Oil changes help, too. There is no way to know if erosion has happened without actually looking at the bearings.
Regards Marti

FrankUSMC

This truck looks to have spent most of it's life parked. They used it as a wrecker. They have a towing/lifting device on the fith wheel. It is just unhooks. They will take it off if I get the truck. They as asking $1500 for it.
How much does a carbuator for one go for, and who would have them?
One of the few, Frank

m.walker

Sometimes the carbs pop up on ebay nos for $125 or less , mine pulls whatever I hook to it ! That's a cheap price I don't think you can go wrong for $1500 that's refuse price ! The airpak like ken said is usualy the problem and they aren't real hard to do . Post some pics , I like to see some other gassers around still running ! Mark