• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on fuel filter install

rdragoo

My M1008 has been converted to an electric lift pump. I ordered a Wix spin- on fuel filter/water separator unit to install between the fuel tank and lift pump. This means the filter will have fuel pulled through it instead of pressurized by the pump. I figured this would filter the fuel before it reached the lift pump which would be good. Does anyone know of any pitfalls of this arrangement? Are most diesel fuel filters of the spin on or canister type meant to be used in a push OR pull situation?
Thanks to the group and Merry Christmas.

BKinzey

And to add to his question If I want the pump at the back but mount the filter on the firewall would it be a good idea to use a filter just for the pump? IE like a 10 or 15 micron filter for the pump and a 2 micron on the firewall?

I don't want to sacrifice a pump but I know if I don't have the filter on the firewall it's less likely to be checked. :roll: :oops:

devilman96

Its fine to put a filter before a pump... A lot of off road equipment is set up that way with dual filters due to the crap you get in the tanks from poor quality fuel. If your not pulling fuel from a crappy source (off road diesel) you shouldnt NEED a pre filter but you can do it if you want the peace of mind.