• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advise with camo colors

latvius

I read the TM and I have color #1 being black, but after I painted the tailgate I noticed the wheel rims are #1 and that does not sound right for the rims to be black. Could someone take a look at the pic of the tailgate and tell me if I have the black and green reversed?

Thanks in advance!

IMAG1076.jpg

latvius

Wow you're quick! Thanks!
Well I don't think I'll be painting them black, doesn't seem like it would look good to me. At least I know I did not reverse the colors which I want to get straight before I continue painting :shock:

If I remember correctly, the rims are black according to the TM.

MarcusOReallyus

Mine are green, like the picture. I'm pretty sure the TM didn't get followed exactly when those things were painted in the motor pool by a bunch of GIs. I know our 113s sure didn't when we converted them from OD to camo back in the 70s.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine are green, like the picture. I'm pretty sure the TM didn't get followed exactly when those things were painted in the motor pool by a bunch of GIs. I know our 113s sure didn't when we converted them from OD to camo back in the 70s.
Partially because MERDEC was a "unit/commander discretion" paint vs. NATO Standard for Woodland starting in the 80s.

MarcusOReallyus

Partially because MERDEC was a "unit/commander discretion" paint vs. NATO Standard for Woodland starting in the 80s.

Well, we had a template we were told to follow, which wasn't produced locally. It was published with all of the officiamaleze of a TM. I don't recall the issuing authority, but I'm quite sure it wasn't something that we cooked up on Ft. Carson.

It sorta kinda got followed, mostly. :D

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we had a template we were told to follow, which wasn't produced locally. It was published with all of the officiamaleze of a TM. I don't recall the issuing authority, but I'm quite sure it wasn't something that we cooked up on Ft. Carson.

Template, yes. Color Scheme... well, the decision on which one to use, (at least to my understanding) was a local commander. which actually makes sense. Alaska is much more likely to want/use a winter scheme than Hawaii or New Mexico...

KansasBobcat

In discussing the camo on my CUCVs and HMMWV with most people I find it interesting that everyone thinks the patterns are done randomly freehand. Of course most were never in the military or close to a motor pool.

rustystud

I was in the Marines at this time and all our trucks got painted freehand. We used the patterns as a guide. One guy would trace out to the best of his ability the lines and then the rest would paint their color in the proper space. We used regular paint brushes so there was a lot of "going over" the lines.