• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need answer ASAP!!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
I started to rip into my brakes today on the new deuce. I figured I would do a thorough inspection before I tried to adjust and bleed to brakes. I pulled off the drivers side front drum and inspected everything, so far so good.

I read on the forunm, when re-installing the drum and hub, to put some RTV in the keyway on the spindle to seal it. OK, I have no problem with that...IS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A KEY IN IT? When I took the hub off, there was no key in the keyway? Is it supposed to be there or not. I don't have enough cribing to prop up the truck and pull the other side to look, and the TM I have doesn't have a drawing of the front hubs, so i thought I would ask the experts?

Please, someone who has done this before, respond so I can get it back together and move on to the next wheel. Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between the inner and outer nuts there is a lock ring that has a tab you bend over to lock it in place. Part of that lockring goes in the keyway. The silicone goes behind that but wait!!!!!!!!!!!. You only need the silicone on rear axles, it's not necessary on the front axles.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The keyway is there for the lock nut washer.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, Thanks for the reply's. I wasn't sure, I was just re-checking the TM and still can't find a picture of the front hub assembly.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess, now I have a problem, because the "tooth" on the locking ring broke off of mine so it will not lock in the keyway!!!!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in TM 9-2320-361-24-1 WP0187-00 (work package), it shows the assembly and all of your torque specs. Try a truck parts store, the washer may be the same as a commercial Rockwell axle washer.
By the way, these should not be re-used. They're inexpensive ($6-$8).

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tore front ends apart that did and didn't have the outer seal. I don't know if they were put in from the factory or not but they really arn't needed on the front. There is nothing to seal that I can see.

grounded

Banned
Some fronts have the seal and some dont. Its not a requirement for the front axle but IS MANDITORY for the rear axle.

This is cause the seal keeps the axle fluid out of the bearings on the rears. The front you dont have that issue so your good to go on the seal

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m16ty and grounded,

Thanks for the input. The sealing of the front axel was my mistake, I thought that all of the axles needed it. I guess I was only remembering part of the posts about redoing the axle seals. As it stands now, after a day of working, I have 4 of the 6 brake drums inspected and adjusted. I have to do both rears on the passenger side yet, then I have to remove the front drivers side wheel again and put the new axle washer in it before I have to drive anywhere. I also bought the parts to put together a pressure bleeder so I can bleed the brakes and adjust the pedal after I do those last two sets of brakes.

So far everything looks great, new or at least newer pads, and the wheel cylinders all look great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks