• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Civ axel for M101A1--what to get?

MIhunter

I finally decided to get rid of the axle on my M101A1. I am really looking to get rid of the split rims and the expensive NDT tires. This will also allow me to dump some weight off of the thing. I have been looking high and low for a A2 or A3 axle, but none can be found. It looks like a need to go civ for it. Besides, for the cost of the replacing the current 4 bearings, I can just get a new axle. Now, I measured the spring perches at 43.25" centers and 64 in to the hub face should get me in the ball park on where I want to be. For what I am using the trailer for (hunting rig) I really don't need electric brakes, however I would love to keep the handbrakes I am torn on who to go with. This will probably have to be special ordered due to the non standard measurements. Has anyone here ever replaced an axle on one of these trailers?? If so, who did you use? Any problems with the swap?? Did you go with 5 lug or 6?

Last edited:

derf

See my thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/59482-m101a1-standard-3500lb-axle-swap.html

If you want hand brakes you might as well get the electric actuators. You'll already have the hubs, drums, back plates, etc.

My axle was off the shelf, 65" or so hub face to hub face. The spring perches were not attached, I welded them on after centering the axle.
The Ubolts were too short to reach around all 7 spring leaves so I removed two leaves.

I had a choice of lug patterns. I had a couple of extra Jeep wheels so I went with 5 on 4.5".

I mounted the axle above the springs to lower the trailer. You could just as easily mount it above if you want the height.