• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need clarification (more bobbing questions)

whyme

after much reading and many searches i have a few questions, please help or point me in the right direction.

i have looked at both options for bobbing a deuce, front suspension vs trailer, and what i want is to retain the hight without lift blocks while still mounting the leafs outside the frime rails for a more "stock" look.

what options are there to do this? i had considered making a bracket to mount the factory hardware included with the front springs to simply widen them apart thus they would mount in the same position as the stock rear suspension did. i feel like this could be a weak point though.

the other option i though of was to use the trailer harware with the front springs and some type of drop bracket to retain ride hight without blocks.

i like the idea of using the front springs and i hate the look of blocks between the axle and spring, i have seen the thread on using the frame rails of the trailer but donot wish to do this.

thank you. Dan

Larch

I read a while ago that someone used the trailer springs and hangers, took the spring pack apart and added the helper leafs (and made one spring pack) and didn't have to use blocks. Never did see a picture of it.

KsM715

I was under the understanding that if you use front suspension parts you do not need lift blocks. I know if you use trailer suspension bolted to the original deuce frame you need to lift it with blocks, because the trailer parts esentially bolt to the side of the frame vs the front spring hangers bolt under the frame.

Edit: slight hijack but related to this ? What parts do you need to bolt a rear axle under the 105 springs? Ubolts, plates for the top of the spring and the piece that is sandwiched between the spring and the axle correct?

edit #2 Never mind I watched the video, got my answer. :doh:

Last edited:

mikew

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by "mounting the leafs outside the frame rails for a more "stock" look ".

If you look at the bogies on a stock 6x6 the springs are "under" the frame rails, not outside.

(OK, after looking at one this is not correct, the springs are outside of the rails. In the imortal words of Rosanne Rosannadanna... NEVERMIND!)

If you use front springs, they will mount under the frame and have the correct height, just like stock.

But; if you're saying you prefer the look of the springs mounted outside the frame rail, checkout the thread called "Another way to bob a deuce" by 100dollarman.

Last edited:

whyme

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by "mounting the leafs outside the frame rails for a more "stock" look ".

If you look at the bogies on a stock 6x6 the springs are "under" the frame rails, not outside.
there is a mount under the rails but the springs are out side the rails. found this pic: http://www.phines.com/truck1/truck3.jpg

But; if you're saying you prefer the look of the springs mounted outside the frame rail, checkout the thread called "Another way to bob a deuce" by 100dollarman.
yeah, i read that thread. i was in the air about the structural integridy of using the trailer frame under the deuce frame, i might make a frame from boxed stock and then bolt that to the deuce with all the hardware attached.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks