• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need data plate or m923a2. Mine was ground off by govt. also vin help

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the title says my data plate had the numbers ground off. I removed the plate and can make some of the numbers from the back.

which are 23/ 0133. Which seems short to me and does not fit the profile of what I have found in search .

On the back of the data plate was hand written

47457-20510953-mfr8j974

the frame numbers driver side behind steering box

9434-2

0 107 8

not sure what the number to use. The frame numbers don't seem to correlate to any of the other numbers

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds correct. BMY seems to have used the last two digits of the M number, followed by a slash, and then a seqential number. Here is the main data plate from my M931A2.

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
My frame numbers have always been large digits half inch tall, hand stamped, going left to right on the frame by the steering box. There are numbers much smaller, machine stamped, that go up and down in that area. They are much smaller I always thought they were part numbers.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think BMY manufactured trucks have any other numbers other than what I uncovered. At least from what I have been able to find.

My am general trucks have the additional numbers as well as all of the m35s I have seen but not these a2 923s

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have the big numerals on the drivers frame rail on both my trucks. Just past the steering box. Get a flashlight and look closely. They match the data plate. I can add a pic tomorrow. The numbers you uncovered in your pic I am pretty sure are just part numbers that's why they don't match your data plate. I don't know why the military would have removed the serial number from the data plate. I have seen the in service date ground down and the reg number stamped in there. The reg number does not correlate to the serial though.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forget who it was but someone posted a list of the kind of numbers used by the manufacturers. Those numbers you found on the frame are NOT the serial number. The 23/XXXXX is correct unless they replaced the dataplate. I haven't been able to find a serial on my A2 frame like the A3 deuce(pretty prominent)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
frame numbers.jpgHere is the serial on my 931a2. My other trucks have it in the same place. I have seen one that was more to the left behind the steering box.
Will

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suprman, you found those numbers in front of the steering box ? Or where did you find them? My frame is covered with undercoating . This makes it hard to see anything.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Mine were visible like you see in the pic. You can see the part numbers like you found but they are vertical the serial is horizontal. I have seen them hidden partially by the steering box though but on another truck. This is where I was told they should always be. Maybe someone with more experience will know more.

goldneagle

Looks like they are right in front of the Air Hose that comes through the frame and goes to the wheel.

As far as replacement plates. I got mine from DATAPLATES.NET He already has a sample of the M923 data plate. He would just have to change some of the writing to correspond to your truck's info. You will need the proper NSN, Reg #, Serial #, and date of delivery.

BTW: Did you have any Reg# and Serial # in paint on the passenger side windshield? Mine did and it matched the numbers stenciled on the doors.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Shot Suprman! As you can see in his photo, the end type of truck 31/XXXXX See the thread with our magician from the tonight show, long thread but I think that's where I saw a list of possible serial and their places.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing nada, Cleaned the the whole rail and no numbers. Even tried the passenger side.
I don't think anyone has found a SN on the frame rail of a 923A2 cargo truck made by BMY .