• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Deuce Alternator

Mike's Bro

Hi, Mike's alternator is not putting out. I've looked at some posts suggesting rebuild, etc.
One post mentioned some source identified simple G L. Can anyone tell me what/where that is?
His rig is a 71 Kaiser (I think). Any other tips would be appreciated.
Thanks, John

Sephirothq

gl is government liquidation. it is an online auction. If you buy from there you don't know if it works or not. there are no guarentees.

your best bet is to take it to an alternator/ starter shop and have them repair it. it will cost around $200.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet any decent automotive electrical shop located by Ft Drum knows how to, and has parts for your alternator (actually a generator) Call some and I bet you'll get the help you need.

datsunaholic

Not to mention if you try to buy one from GL it's a minimum $150 bid on something of unknown condition. If you can even find them; the GL here at Ft Lewis just pitches all alternators/generators and starters into a 5-yard dumpster and sells them as metal scrap (by the bin, mutilation required).

Ticks me off because I volunteer at a Non-profit Museum and we could really use some of the aircraft starters I saw in the bin, even as parts cores.

Mike's Bro

Hi Guys, Mike bought a new generator ($800.00!!!), which arrived today. He has asked 7rl garages around here if he needs to polarize it prior to running it, but no one seems to know, so I thought I'd ask here.
He had an old Harley years ago, that he had to do the polarization on, and is understandably cautions about this install.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, John
:beer:

Mike's Bro

Hi Guys, Mike bought a new generator ($800.00!!!), which arrived today. He has asked 7rl garages around here if he needs to polarize it prior to running it, but no one seems to know, so I thought I'd ask here.
He had an old Harley years ago, that he had to do the polarization on, and is understandably cautions about this install.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, John
:beer:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have asked before spending that much. They can be purchased used easily under 100$. rebuild for around 200$. Heck, last complete deuce not yet picked up was 875$.

Mike's Bro

Hi, Yah i was surprised that he jumped so quick, guess he had a burning developing from the dough in his wallet. He wound up buying another one Wed. night off from ebay for about $50.00 shipped.
The $$ one is 60 amps, and the one on ebay is 25 amp. I've seen a few conversion kits to up it to 60 amps on ebay. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks again, John:beer:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
How quick do you need the generator (alternator)?

I gotta ask a question burning in my mind (maybe I'm just ignorant)...Who the H is Mike? Is he a member from here that is out of Ft Drum and deployed or what? Throw me a bone.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Sure sounded like a lot of money to spend when the folks on here probably could have helped you out a lot cheaper but might have taken an extra day or two or a week.

Good luck getting the green iron back up and running.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had 3 alternators die on me, (not from the same truck) and everytime I take them to a shop they say they can no longer get the regulator for them. Timntrucks has take off gens for $100 or so. Great service too.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 25 amp one is a "old style" generator, the 60 amp ones are the newer alternators. They are not interchangeable without a wire modification kit.

The next time you need parts, PM me. I'm about 30 minutes away from you and I will sell every alternator I have for $800, maybe even a little less!:wink: I have many parts available. I would be glad to help you guys.

BEASTMASTER

ixne on ebay ..you can get them rebuilt for $200- $300. and you know it's gonna work. any truck repair or parts place can tell you where to get it rebuilt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks