• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need for brake upgrade after drive ratio change for more speed?

csoledade

Hello,

I was trying to search (with no real luck) for threads that might have information on the need to upgrade brakes after the drive ratio has been upgraded to enable faster speeds.

70MPH would be nice for the occasional HWY segment, but I want to make sure the LMTV can stop and turn at those speeds.

Any suggestions on search terms to use to find this information? Anyone with experience want to provide their insights?

Thank you.

Overdrive

I don't have search terms but I know for a fact that Meritor makes disk brake versions of our LMTV axles and I have seen them on an advertising brochure. I would be a swap to disks would improve a number of brake functions.... One of my holy grail mods in the distant future.

OD

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This topic has not been covered here (yet). The brakes are sized for 5000 lb payload, so running empty should be no prob to haul down from an extra 15 mph.

Last edited:

tburk49760

Having done the regear and quite happy with it, I can tell you that without some added power, cruising at 70 on anything other than flat ground with little to no load, jus isn't gonna happen very often if ever... Cruising at 60-65 more realistic, even loaded fairly heavy. Turning and braking aren't a problem. I can hit 74 but just barely and that's balls out...

csoledade

Having done the regear and quite happy with it, I can tell you that without some added power, cruising at 70 on anything other than flat ground with little to no load, jus isn't gonna happen very often if ever... Cruising at 60-65 more realistic, even loaded fairly heavy. Turning and braking aren't a problem. I can hit 74 but just barely and that's balls out...
Thank you very much for the realistic driving report. I appreciate it. Do you have one of the trucks with a 3116 engine?

I read that it is much easier to tune horsepower and torque on the later C7 engines in the M1078A1 trucks with just an electronic remap. I also read that tuning the 3116 require a turbo replacement or marine injectors. Another thread mentioned that the tuning does not really affect the end cruising speed, just the ability to work up to that speed with much less effort. The engine upgrades make the truck more responsive not necessarily faster.

Do you know if the 3126 engine a middle upgrade step between the 3116 and C7 engines?

Thanks!

csoledade

I don't have search terms but I know for a fact that Meritor makes disk brake versions of our LMTV axles and I have seen them on an advertising brochure. I would be a swap to disks would improve a number of brake functions.... One of my holy grail mods in the distant future.

OD
Thank you. I may be adding that to my holy grail list as well! Any info you have on part identification or part numbers for the Meritor disc brake/axle upgrade?

scottmandu

Thank you very much for the realistic driving report. I appreciate it. Do you have one of the trucks with a 3116 engine?
I read that it is much easier to tune horsepower and torque on the later C7 engines in the M1078A1 trucks with just an electronic remap. I also read that tuning the 3116 require a turbo replacement or marine injectors. Another thread mentioned that the tuning does not really affect the end cruising speed, just the ability to work up to that speed with much less effort. The engine upgrades make the truck more responsive not necessarily faster.
When top speed is gearing limited more power means you can get there quicker or maintain higher speed on inclines. The stock turbo is ridiculously small on the hot side. I wouldn't go higher than 290 on the stock turbo egt's get out of hand quickly. I've got an upgraded S300 on my rig, but I haven't had a chance to fully test it as the A/C install isn't complete.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks