• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need fuel line

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use DOT approved "air brake" tubing, available from NAPA. Black plastic w/nylon liner comes in the sizes you will need. Also get the inserts and ferrules and save/reuse the original brass hardware.

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry didn't mention, I need a whole other line and fittings, One of our trucks is missing this whole line, where would I get the fittings. flyxpl, where did you get yours?

Alredneck

Banned
I went through this in Apoc in 2007. It had the original metal lines and I had a pin hole leak. I originally want to go back with all original parts but found that the miltary used a oddball thread size for the ferrel end. So after looking all over northern FL I got to thinking if this happens again I wont something that is easier to find. So I took the insert the ferrel end screws into which is a more common NPT thread. I ended up going with nipple fittings and rubber fuel line with hose clamps. That way no matter where I go in America I can find parts to fix my truck. Also I carry eaxtra hose with me as it can be used to fix lots of various things along the way. Fuel pressure is only around 7psi so nothing to worry about there!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get DOT line. new fitting plus bypass you FDC and be done with it.
Just make shure when and before you take fitting out of Hyd Head that you clean real well and be clean on install.

Last edited:

rlwm211

You have to use the DOT line because standard plastic line will deteriorate from the exposure to fuel. The DOT stuff has a Nylon liner and is rated for exposure to petrochemicals. You should be able to locate the rest of the components over the counter. I did run into an issue where I got "long" ferrules and they would not allow the threaded fitting to engage the threads. I purchased short ferrules and things worked fine.

RL

Last edited:

flyxpl

Not sure if what I am using is dot approved , but it holds up to brake fluid , kerosene and jet fuel with turbine oil blended in with it .I am told the turbine oil can be nasty stuff . same hose has last about 5 years with no problems yet . I will have to check but I think the hose is polypropylene .

rlwm211

I am just relaying what I was told and would say that a DOT certification means that a material is rated for the "automotive environment". That does not mean any other material is not adequate.

I know when I had to replece several return lines on my deuce they were NYLON and that type of tubing was not available so I found out about the Airline tubing on the site and checked into it and ended up using it.

In no way would I presume to hold all the knowledge, or even a smattering of what can be known about the deuce. There are many here who are more knowledgeable about the various aspects of the deuce, the materials used for various parts and pieces and what to use and not use. I only offer counsel on what I have personally done, or observed.

I would say that inspect your lines, look for softening and other deterioration and if they are in good condition you are good to go.

RL

flyxpl

I tried several truck and machinery places here in town that make hoses . Showed them what I was looking for and they could not help me . If could have found the dot approved airline I would have used it , but I had no luck . I keep extra with me jsut in case it does no hold up .
I think ALREDNECK has the best idea . Barbed fittings and rubber fuel line . The guys useing multiple fuels probally need to worry most about compatability . Some hoses that are good with deisel are not good with gasoline .

renovate7

NAPA carries the pushlock fittings and several types of hose. I tried to find these at hydraulic hose type places and they didn't have them. The fittings are metal, unlike the plastic fittings used on the air lines of the A3's, and are a little expensive. You can go to the Weatherhead website and read about the different types of lines/hoses/fittings and what they are good for....Lowes and HD carry a line of pushlock fittings. They are a white plastic and are located with their junk brass fittings. All these lines will work with them but I could not find anything saying what PSI they are good for, important for brake lines, or what liquids they are good for, other than water. I'd stay totally away from them and stick to the NAPA stuff.

tm america

i tried the stuff from lowes....bad idea...It swelled up and failed in less than a week.. i would get the dot air line from a truck stop or truck parts place..fitting are ussually reuseable just need to get new ferrules and compression rings..If you are looking to reroute the lines using quick release couplings is the hot ticket..That way if you have a hose fail again you can change it without tools

rlwm211

I get my 1/4 and 3/8 from Napa and the ferrules from building supply.

I always carry spares. I think that is a deuce standard operating procedure.

:-o

RL

Alredneck

Banned
Here a link to the write up I did with mine. It includes the problem by size with the original equipment. I thought long and hard and went with the materials that are the easiest to find around the world cause you never know when things will break on ya at the most inoperatune time.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...-apocs-singled-ready-plunder-n-pilidge-4.html

Should come up on page 4 if not go to page 4. Pic included for your examination and pleasure!:shock: