• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help 806B generator backlight shows that there is a short and no power comes out of cables from generator.. What should I look for

geomur

What should I be looking for to find shorts? living in Florida poses a problem with roaches and FIRE ANTS getting into the unit.
806B unit will not start because the engine water temp switch is defective. The computer shows that temp is 250 degrees
The part number I'm looking for is 96-23534 it's a 4 wire connector

Guyfang

Staff member
NSN: 5930-01-470-8799
Part # 96-23534
Part # MP-971124

Part should be on hand at Green Mountain. Also, is in Ebay. You might try looking a little farther for other places that might have it. G.M. is pricey.

What makes you thing there are "Shorts?"
If its the switch, simply jump it to KNOW its bad.
Do you have the TM's for the set?

Also, write your State in the location block, IAW Forum rules.

The best way to look for parts, is to start a "parts wanted" thread, in the Aptly named Forum, Parts Wanted.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@geomur, I'm confused, but that's just me! Let me summarize to see if I follow it. You have a temperature sender (switch), part number 96-23434. You think it may be broken because the gauge is pegged at 250-degrees. It probably is broken, but there may be other reasons why the gauge is pegged. If you shop around you may find one that's in your budget where you might just replace it and find out, but the ones that I found tonight were definitely outside my casual "just replace it" budget!

The way these devices work is that they put up a resistance to electrical current. The resistance varies as the temperature changes. The lower the resistance the more current that flows and the higher the resistance the less current that flows. It probably isn't surprising then, that a temperature gauge is one whose needle moves proportional to current flow. An ohm is a unit of resistance, i.e., a unit of measure. We use a Digital MultiMeter (DMM) in "ohms" mode to measure resistance.

We are reluctant to say "short" unless we mean zero ohms of resistance. Two bare wires touched together are said to be shorted. Open is the opposite end of the range. It means there is infinite resistance, i.e., doesn't conduct electricity at all. I don't mean to lecture or be picky about terminology (please forgive me), but it is necessary to understand the basics in order to follow the troubleshooting procedure in the technical manual.

I copied the paragraph in the TM (Technical Manual) below. It may help you diagnose if the switch is good or bad.

ARMY TM 9-6115-672-14
AIR FORCE TO 35C2-3-444-32
MARINE CORPS TM 09244A/09245A-14 4-198

4.13.2 Coolant Temperature Sender MT6.
a. Testing.
(1) Shut down generator set, paragraph 2.11.2.
(2) Open BATTERY ACCESS door (Figure 1-2), and disconnect negative battery cable. (Protects both you and your DVVM)
(3) Open left side engine compartment access doors (Figure 1-3).
(4) Remove dead crank switch plate, refer to paragraph 4.14.4.
(5) Disconnect electrical plug connector from coolant temperature sender (2, Figure 4-30) by unscrewing retaining ring.
(6) Set multimeter for ohms, and connect positive lead to temperature sender terminal and negative lead to pin 4. Multimeter should indicate as follows:

At 70°F, ohm range is 108-111 ohms. For each +10°F, add two ohms to either end of range. For each -10°F, subtract two ohms. Example: At 80°F range, should equal 110-113 ohms. At 60°F, range should equal 106-109 ohms.

(7) Connect negative battery cable to battery.
(8 ) Start up generator set, paragraph 2.11.1.
(9) Allow engine to operate while observing multimeter. Ohms indication should decrease as temperature rises.
(10) Shut down generator set, paragraph 2.11.2.
(11) Disconnect negative battery cable.
(12) If indications are not as above, replace coolant temperature sender (2). Refer to paragraph 4.13.2. b d.
(13) If coolant temperature sender (2) meets above requirements, connect electrical plug connector to sender by tightening retaining ring.
(14) Close engine compartment access doors.
(15) Connect negative battery cable to battery, and close BATTERY ACCESS door.

Let us know what you find out?

Evvy-

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
We are reluctant to say "short" unless we mean zero ohms of resistance. Two bare wires touched together are said to be shorted. Open is the opposite end of the range. It means there is infinite resistance, i.e., doesn't conduct electricity at all. I don't mean to lecture or be picky about terminology (please forgive me), but it is necessary to understand the basics in order to follow the troubleshooting procedure in the technical manual.

Thats why I always ask about having the TM's.

Thats why I always call parts what they are listed as in the TM.

Thats why I always write S1 instead of start switch, crank switch, Start/Stop/Run switch. First its shorter, and second, everyone should know what we are talking about, and often the names used to describe parts, is very misleading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks