• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help finding brake parts......

Brad

Hi friends, Seems each summer I have to work on these old truck brakes. My Dad has this 1952 GMC 6X6 and he is unable to do anything anymore. So I am elected.I need the rubber cups for in the wheel cylinders. Can anyone advise me on where I might find them??? Sure would appreciate it. They are the donut type. Thanks so much Seems e

Section8

Hello back at ya!
I am not sure if you can get just the rubber end caps to the brake cylinders or not. If you contact Memphis Equipment they have replacement cylinders, bout 35 bucks each I think, or rebuild kits that have the cups and pistons I believe.
Some of the other members on here have gotten them from Napa, Niagra surplus, Alfa Heaven, good old ebay, or Brian Ausbury (sorry if I am wrong on the last name) in Canada.
I am sure others will be able to chime in and correct me if I am wrong or have other options! Good luck on your quest!

Brad

Hey ya'all!!1 Used the NAPA number and had my friendly neighborhood mechanic order them for me. Came in a couple days and I just finished rebuilding the two back wheels. Going to give her a test trip or two and then do both front wheels.
The rears were not leaking but were all gaulded and frozen up. When I would apply the breaks they would usually lock up and then I could not pull out. I cleaned everything up real good and it should all work now. It seems the front set of rears are ok. I did rebuild one of those a couple years back so just the one wheel might cause problems. I might just back the adjustment way back for now.
But the front wheels need rebuilt cause they are leaking bad and they lock up some also. I cant wait to see how bad they are inside.
But I just want to thank everyone for all the help. Thius site is a great rescource!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad

So orry to take so ling getting back. Was away from here and my Mom's computer is so messed up I could not log on.
Anyway. The rubber cups come 10 to a box. I bout two boxes and the total bill w/ tax was just $45.00 and some change for 20 of them. They were $1.80 or so.
Now for the rest of the story. This is my Dads truck. He and I worked on this for years to get it road worthy and when we were finally ready in the fall of 2011 we were able to take it in a big local parade in our area and it was really a hit. It is a real nice looking truck but has had it's share of mechanical quirks. As you know it's big and everything is heavy/ Dad is now 83 and I just turned 60. Neither of us get around well and just getting up off the ground is tuff for me as I have mechanical problems also. Just getting in it is hard.
But Dad was in the artillary in Korea, purple heart, citations medals. etc and he spent allot of time in a truck, though older WWII types. But this truck project really means allot to him.
Anyway a few weeks after that parade in 2011 he had a bad stroke and he cant even get in it any more. Mom and I and my Brothers have talked of selling it but he wonbt hear of it. So it basically falls on me to keep it rolling. Its a tuff job and can be expensive just to keep gas in it.
Anyway, last year after replacing the air hydro cylinder then I had a new breke problem. When applied they stopped me well enough, but often locked up tite and could not pull out. It was so bad at times I really could not trust it to take anywhere.
So this year I started by rebuilding the four wheel cylinders on the farthers back axle cause they were plainly dragging on a gravel road.
This week I had the wheels on and took a ride and all went well for the 10 or 12 mile run.
But later that day the wheels seemed to be tite again. Not actually locking up bad enough to drag on a grabel lane, but certainly tite. And it seemed to be the same two back wheels I had just rebuilt.
This really disgusted me and I dont know what to do.
But yesterday I was reading the manual and found where it said the linkage on the master cylinder adjust ment was important. I did have just a very little play in it but I increased the play by one more full turn of the clevis. This should allow the piston to return forward enough to allow the fluid to return to the resivour when the pedal is left out?? Thats the theory??
I thought it was enough before but gave it some more slop> Anyway I tools another spin in it after and it seems ok again. But I really dont trust it.
The tempoary check valve that is in the line for the brake losk has already been removed from the line cause we had this problem before.
I guesee my question is this. Th front wheel cylinders are plainly leaking fluid and I plan to rebuild them soon as I can. But could that some how cause the locking up problems I am having??? I dont see how, but I certainly am no expert??
And finally just in case. Roughly what are these trucks worth??? Is there any market for them??
This truck is really in good condition body, frame, etc. Just mainly has these brake issues that I am sure a good mechanic can fix.
Thanks all for all yer help.
Brad

cmpman

If the front wheels are leaking, it could be that the cylinders are gummed up. When the wheels lock up on the gravel, is there any indication which wheels are locking? If it is in the rear, then it could also be a collapsed flex line. They have been known to let fluid through, but not return.

Personally, I go with new cylinders. Niagara military has them at $18 each, so a trucks worth will run you $216 plus shipping. My time is worth more than that to have to rebuild cylinders every couple years....new cylinders should give me about 7 years service before I have to bother again. And if the truck is being used in parades or around the public, a good solid brake system is the cheapest insurance you can buy.

Brad

Thanks for the tip on Niagra Military!!
I just tore down one of the front wheels and I think at least one of the sylinders is beyond honing. Probably both are pitted too bad.
But if they have them at that price, problem solved.
Thanks

Brad

Hi ya'all,
I was able to find this place a few months back, and get the new wheel cylinders.
Now I am having a problem with them and need to contact these guys.
For the life of me, I cannot find any contact info on line. Does anyone have a phone number??
If I remember correctly, they do not have a web site/
Thanks in advance,
Brad Foust

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks