• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help identifying my new M-37 auction find

Joe Bertram

Ok guys I recently got a new to me M-37 project truck at auction, it is probably the best shape candidate that I've seen. Engine is out of it, there was one in the bed on a stand. It obviously isn't correct as it has 6 volt equipment on it. I also got another engine in the round metal military container. This truck has no glove box door so no data tags. It has some weird wiring connections behind the grille as well as some holes in the bed sides so I assume maybe some sort of radio truck. There are some numbers on the front bumper as well as on the hood. Good number is US ARMY 2442770. Also maybe tire chains holders on all 5 tires

Attachments

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It definitely had the rectifier that went in front of the grill (missing now).

Based on the holes and the big electrical block on the firewall, I'd say you're right about it being a radio truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow amazing, you still have 1950's tires on it, those clips are bead locks that replaced bolt together combat wheels. In the 1960's, the Army quit using those, meaning your truck has been left untouched for a long time.
You have/had the 100 amp 24 volt charging system, used to power the radio teletypes or whatever radio complement she had. The pulleys on the engine, water pump and alternator are 4 groove with this system. Those huge shielded cables are part of it too. The engine alternator created 3 phase electricity, the (missing) rectifier in front of the radiator changed the AC to DC, and lastly the regulator or the firewall did the regulating.

Not too many 70 yr old M37s can be restored with just a paint job, looks like yours might.

Joe Bertram

Thank you so much for the info, tires all dates Goodyear 1954 unfortunately engine is gone so original generator all gone too but I agree this one is probably going to be one of the easier trucks to get back together

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks