• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help on my CUCV M1031/ M1008

Brent.Cain

Ok guys and girls i just bought my frist 1986 CUCV M1031. it has only 21,000miles ok the problem im having is that im blowing/melting down the head light fues. My truck has the balck out lights on it witch i wanna take out of it cause i dont need them but whats going on is i can put a new 15amp fues in and all the brake lights and turn siganls work and the fues dont blow, i can also turn on the running lights and no problems and still have brake and turn signals but as soon as i turn on the head lights its takes about 15sec. and the fues blows i have pulled out the head lights and marker lights out and checked out the wireing to see is any of it was grounding on the frame and i cant find any thing any body know whats going on or can help me plz.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the CUCV FAQ Article (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.
Download the manuals for reference. Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Also checkout the FAQ Thread for CUCV's stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.
Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Now to your issues.

No need to remove the B/O lighting. If you are not using it just leave it as the next person to own the truck may want it. Besides that do you know how to rewire the switch?

The first order of business is to start cleaning all the electrical connect/contacts. Start by disconnecting the batteries and removing and cleaning the fuses. Use some electrical contact cleaner and a small cardboard nail file if needed. Also start checking and cleaning the ground connections.

Sometimes it is the connections on the light switch itself.

The headlight fuse is one of the worst to get dirty/corrode.

Check these items and report back.

Warthog

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you check the terminals inside the headlamp sockets as well? The terminals inside can crack and/or break creating a short and your issue.

Brent.Cain

Ok guys ill try and get sum pix up here ASAP but i fixed my own problem. If you have the same type of problem and you can find any cracks in the wires or anything my guess would be is that ur having the same problem i was and that is the they are trying to run way to much stuff on one curcuit and its melting down. do here is what i did pull the light switch out and unplug it then take the orange with a black strip wire and cut it in half then you gotta get a small 6fues panel from your auto parts store and run a 12V hot wire to that then run a hot wire back to that orange and black wire on the plug in side then just plug it back in and you got all ur lights and extra room to add new things that need only 12V

Brent.Cain

so here it is in steps
1--- unplug ur head light switch
2--- find the orange wire with the black stripe and cut it down away from the pulg in so your left with a pig tail off the plug in
3--- run a new 12V 8gauge wire from ur battery to ur new 6 panel fues block P.S. i used a 25amp fues
4--- then you can run like a 14gauge wire out of ur new fues block over to your Orange and black wire and crimp it together
5--- plug ur plug back into ur head light switch pull knob