• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need HELP or advice on shipping vehicle!

NEIOWA

KaiserM109 said:
I need some advice. I have a bid to haul it the 500 mi. for $2800. The advice I would like is about roading it home. Is it likely to start for me in the surplus yard? ..God bless America and those who keep it strong.
You should be able to get it moved for no more than $3/mi. Some work and likely less, if the trucker can be bothered to look for another LCL. Eastbound a lot more empty flatbeds available than westbound.

KaiserM109

All this advice sounds quite sound. I've rebuilt 4x4s for a few years and have a good idea what to expect. I once started out to road a '60 Willys 400 mi. from Utah to Denver but left it at my Dad's place half way. The steering on it was absolutely dangerous! Another time I drove a '76 IH Scout across Denver in order to get the axles off it for the Willys. When we got the brakes apart I nearly fainted. I once borrowed a '56 IH pickup for hunting. On the mountain I crawled under it to see what the popping noise was and found a U joint about to simply fall apart. That was a slow, careful trip down off the mountain!

I haven't given up the idea of roading it, but I am going to contact some local truckers and see what I can get. The $2800 bid is from a company in Wichita that has to go 120 up to Ft. Riley and back, so they are charging me for an extra 240 mi. From what you guys are telling me, that is still high. I have time, so I will look around. My first choice is to trailer it.

After I have had time to 'S' service it, and take short local trips, I expect to have some fun with the rig. My son has a part time business running paintball games and he is looking forward to having it to haul gear in. We're designing an electronic game with multiple radio links to "objectives" in the playing field and the 109 will be his 'headquarters'.

Attachments

Sarge

Bugei, so you got a quote on Uship.com from Ranger5183? I also got a quote from his company. It was an alright quote, not too cheap, not too expensive. I normally don't badmouth anybody unless they've screwed me over personally. Then I will badmouth him to his face before telling others. I will not badmouth Ranger5183, however; READ HIS FEEDBACK. It's the same thing you would do with anyone on E-Bay. Feedback tells you a lot about the way a man conducts his business. After reading Ranger5183's feedback, there is no way in hell that I would do business with him. After saying that, I feel that I must say something positive about someone. I found another guy on Uship.com, the name is VeteransTransport. After reading his feedback and finding out that he was an Army Warrant Officer mechanic, I searched the internet and got his name and telephone number. I REALLY wanted him to haul my Gamagoat, and would have paid a premium price for him to do it. His feedback was the best I have ever seen anywhere on the internet. Unfortunately, his scheduling did not allow him to help me out. Rats. If I ever have to move anything in the future, he is the first one I will call. For future reference, his name is CW2 Tim Conrad and he is a hot-shot hauler out of Texas.

jfnemt1ff1

Goat shiping

OK here goes I am the nut the drove my goat out to Aberdeen and back,1600 miles round trip. Frist when I was tring to get mine back from WV. the thing that you have to keep in mind is the width between the trailer (ie wheel wells).Mine would not fit on my car hauler.Here is a pic of how I got mine home,The other thing is if your tring to save money check of with the owner how he kept up on maint. Have a back up plan (ie car hauler,make sure you give him all the sizes) Drive it home, you could even bring along a grease gun ands some gear oil and top off all the fuilds. If it runs good and the maint has been kept up it should be a fun trip,had a blast driving mine out to aberdeen and have put about 3000 miles since we been back.
John

Attachments

bugei

RE: Goat shiping

sarge,

yeah, his feedback was "all over the place", it seemed more that he used some other contractors to do some (hard to tell if it was all) of his shipping. seemed that when he really did a haul that the people were happy. i bought a pro street falcon on e-bay a few years ago, and an "agent" like him hooked me up with the easiest deal of my life, my car rode in air conditioned comfort with a bunch of show cars who's hood ornaments were worth more than my car. i think it is all in how careful they are with their contractors. i just wanted to pass on a name of someone who had at least responded. i just bought my m35, and it sux to own a way cool rig, and be so jazzed about it, then trying to figure out how to get the bad girl home to the sandbox.

i watched your goat and kept getting itchy fingers, i think if i did not have my m35 in limbo, i would have made that click too. i hope it is as cool as it looks in real life. my duece was much better than i had psyched up for, and so was the recovery adventure. so i will be thinking positive green god thoughts for you. HAVE FUN!!!

btw, guys, who is the patron saint of green trucks? there must be one. is it St. Jude, the patron saint of hopeless causes :)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay Sarge, old buddy. You have had two months to figure out how to put he pictures in and ya haven't done it, so I will do it for you!
The first is the goat going on to the trailer. "Come on till you hit my feet" says Sarge. By the way, at 7am it was already 90+ in Phoenix.
Pic two is how we traveled after taking the S250 off, the combination was too heavy for the trailer.
(Now the above assumes the pictures load in the right order, which for me they usually don't. If they don't, you can probably still tell which is which).

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sheesh! No matter what order I put the pictures into the post, they always come out opposite to what I intended. Oh well.... here is one more to make up for the inconvenience.

Werner backing it up. If you look closely, you can see the rear wheels steering too, neat feature.

Attachments

Sarge

Name that Dork!

Who is that enormous Dork sitting on the back of the one ton waving his arms and legs in the air? Wait a minute..... that's , that's.... Who is that good looking young Sergeant skilfully guiding the M561 onto the trailer? What style, what grace, what a shave and deboner looking Gentleman.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks