• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help please. M929 will not run. Still on base :(

Axeman68

Hello all,
I was wondering if I could get some advise from our seasoned owners?
I have recently purchased a M929 dump truck with the Cummins NHC 250. (2320-01-047-8756) from the GL website.
The truck was running fine when listed.
When I attempted to start it up for the first time (still on base), it would turn over but would not fire up. I cranked it over for several minutes but it would not fire.
I opened the petcock and pumped the fuel primer pump. Fuel was good.
Then I discovered that the "emergency engine stop" had been pulled the entire time. Eerrrhhh! Total newbie mistake :(
Once the engine stop was pushed back in, it fired up instantly. Unfortunately, it sounds like it is only running on two cylinders. It stays running barely and will not accelerate at all.
My question is:
1) Do you think the reason it will not run is due to the fact that I attempted to start the engine with the "emergency engine stop engaged"?
2) What was the likely effect of cranking the engine over with the "emergency engine stop engaged"? (air in the system?)
3) What is the procedure for correcting the issue?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Sincerely,
Ted

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like its sucking air from somewhere. i dont think you did any damage by cranking it with fuel shut off in the off postion. how long did you let it run at this low speed

Axeman68

It ran for two to three minutes just barely chugging before I cut it off (didn't want to do more damage). black exhaust present.
Would cranking it with the fuel shutoff engaged pull air in?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thats not long enought to get it all worked out. black smoke is good.. try again and let it catch up . i bet it will run once it gets its prime up. make sure you close off the hand pump before starting it up

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The nhc250 engine emergency stop fuel cut lever needs to be hand reset on top of pushing the lever back in. I would check and see if the fuel cut is fully open.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A good chance it is sucking air though the tank change valve, try running a line from the ip to the left tank fill hole,

Get the truck towed off base, then work on it, the last thing you want is to dump some fuel on base.

jedawson1

All good comments so far; 1)manually reset the emergency cut off 2) crack the drain and prime the sh*t out of it, let the fuel pour on the ground, if the airleak is a good one like my truck it can pockets of fuel in the line between pockets of air. 3) I'm a little disturbed by the sputtering, my air leak would nor rev, but never sputtered.

Good Luck, hope you brought a credit card and transport phone # as a back up plan. Also, get to a computer and search " inspection" and the base/ town your in. Good chance there's an SS'er who helps with these things.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
All good comments so far; 1)manually reset the emergency cut off 2) crack the drain and prime the sh*t out of it, let the fuel pour on the ground, if the airleak is a good one like my truck it can pockets of fuel in the line between pockets of air. 3) I'm a little disturbed by the sputtering, my air leak would nor rev, but never sputtered.

Good Luck, hope you brought a credit card and transport phone # as a back up plan. Also, get to a computer and search " inspection" and the base/ town your in. Good chance there's an SS'er who helps with these things.
This is a NO NO, you can be charged for a HAZARDOUS spill clean up, this will take a BIG chunk out of your CC.

Axeman68

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your assistance. All of the comments were helpful. "Suprman" and "Jedawson1" were spot-on with the advise to manually reset the fuel cut-off valve. I am sure many other folks did not mention the manual reset because it's common knowledge among nhc250 owners.
The truck fired up and ran perfectly after resetting the valve.
BTW, the GL guys at DSCR-Richmond were very willing to help. Not very knowledgeable, but willing to do what they could to help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks