• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help replacing water pump belt

998Junkie

I'm replacing all the belts on my 818 and have read the TM's. I have removed all the belts but one, the one to the water pump.

The TM says to loosen the six bolts and then use a pry bar and rotate it clockwise to loosen. I have busted all my nuckles and have all six bolts loose but I can't seem to get my pry bar in there. I tried a pipe wrench on the outside but the unit doesn't seem to want to rotate. I notice that there is a set screw on the housing, the tm doesn't reference it but I'm wondering if I need to loosen that as well.

Or am I just missing something. Is there a trick or am I just lacking leverage?(it was really hot today) All the other brackets moved with simple hand presure once the bolts were loose.

I'm attaching a rather poor photo of my problem.

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't loosen set screw. It is just stuck on the gasket. Try loosing screws a few turns and light rap downward w/wood mallet.

jasonjc

On mine I had to pull the pump out. And it's a good thing, I found that the impeller was cracked. Had to replace the pump. You may also mess up the gasket by truning it so best to get a new one and replace it to start with. Or you may end up with a leak.

One more thing the pump has a grease fitting it maybe where the set screw is. Set screw may be a plug.?.

998Junkie

Don't loosen set screw. It is just stuck on the gasket. Try loosing screws a few turns and light rap downward w/wood mallet.
That did the trick though it took a few attempts. My only problem is that the water pump belt I ordered using the napa part number I got off the old site is a little bit small and I can't get it over the hub. I'll have to order a new one in the morning....I'm a lot closer, thanks.

On mine I had to pull the pump out. And it's a good thing, I found that the impeller was cracked. Had to replace the pump. You may also mess up the gasket by truning it so best to get a new one and replace it to start with. Or you may end up with a leak.
Well I left the pump on for now but just in case I need a new gasket, where did you get yours?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason is correct, while you are waiting for a belt, you should get a new seal ring. You have a better than 50% chance it will leak. You might be diong the job over again. If you do go get a new one, make sure you coat it with anti seize and torque the capscrews the way the TM says to.

998Junkie

Jason is correct, while you are waiting for a belt, you should get a new seal ring. You have a better than 50% chance it will leak. You might be doing the job over again. If you do go get a new one, make sure you coat it with anti seize and torque the capscrews the way the TM says to.
Sound like a plan then, do you have a source for the seal ring? Can it be ordered from Napa?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks