• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with a M54 5 ton.

dogtags

Hello Guys:

I have recently accepted a volunteer position as head of vehicle maintenance with the Fields of Honor Military Veterans Museum in Oshkosh, WI. http://www.mvmwisconsin.com/

So, one of the trucks I get to 'play' with is, according to the data plate, a M54A2 WO/W. As you can clearly see from the attached photos, someone decided it needed a winch, and new tires, and a dropside bed.

I am asking for you help to provide me with as much info as you would like to contribute about this truck. I know it has upgraded tires, but with what? Was this some type of rebuild program? Where is the VIN on a 5 ton? Other little tidbits that come with working on a 5 ton?

The truck runs and stops great, just needs 1 new battery and it would be almost ready to go anywhere. I say almost as it appears there is some leaking front axle seals.

I have downloaded every manual I can find off of LOGSA about the truck and have quite a bit of reading to do... :)

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you guys about this truck.

~Robert

Attachments

dogtags

Re: RE: Need help with a M54 5 ton.

Offroadfabworks said:
Truck looks good. Im sure someone will chime in on the info about it. And welcome to the site ;)
Thanks. I've actually lurked here for years, just never really posted as all I personally own and have worked on before is a WC-63. All these new and bigger trucks are quite a bit different than I am used to.

~Robert

98hd

16x20 goodyears (hemmt wheels/tires). I wonder w/ all the upgrades if maybe it came from Oshkosh Equipment. They like to put those ties on all the 5 tons they sell.

I saw the link to the museum and was hoping to stop in and take a look, but I see they are waiting on construction of a new site. Too bad. I drive through oshkosh/appleton about every other weekend.

BTW: I saw the link in your sig. My son loves his dogtags (got some from you at Iola this year)

citizensoldier

I agree with 98hd.. That looks like a truck from Oshkosh equipment. They probably added the winch or it is pieced together from other trucks and that is why the data plate says WOW.. I think all 5 ton cargo trucks were drop sides but I could be wrong.
What else is it you would like to know?
If you decide to change the front axle seal I am sure we can help get you through that.

dogtags

98hd said:
16x20 goodyears (hemmt wheels/tires). I wonder w/ all the upgrades if maybe it came from Oshkosh Equipment. They like to put those ties on all the 5 tons they sell.

I saw the link to the museum and was hoping to stop in and take a look, but I see they are waiting on construction of a new site. Too bad. I drive through oshkosh/appleton about every other weekend.

BTW: I saw the link in your sig. My son loves his dogtags (got some from you at Iola this year)
Thanks for the news on the tires. All I know is that the truck was donated a few years ago and it came from someone, not directly from Oshkosh Equipment. I'll have to research the history a bit more on the museum side.

As far as the museum site goes, they hope to have some flag poles up soon. The building shouldn't be too far off.

Thanks for the kind words about the dog tags. I love meeting all the people as I make tags for them.

~Robert

dogtags

citizensoldier said:
I think all 5 ton cargo trucks were drop sides but I could be wrong.
What else is it you would like to know?
If you decide to change the front axle seal I am sure we can help get you through that.
After looking at Oshkosh Equipment's site, it looks like he has quite a few 5-tons that are standard cargo bodies.

I would like to find out how to get the VIN number so I can ask Medlog the trucks service history.

The front seals will need to be changed before we run it too much. what are we looking at in way of cost and man hours?

~Robert

PS Thanks for the responses so far!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Look on the frame...driver's side directly behind the front tire. Should have the serial # stamped there. All 5tons are not dropsides.
Since you are having problems with one, you should donate it to our little museum. That truck is Guntruck material if I ever saw it.
www.ironmikemuseum.org

dogtags

neilhendrix said:
Nice truck, just a little TJC. Will it be on display?
Once we replace the battery and get a plate for it she'll hit the road. Right now the museum has land but no buildings on it. All artifacts, trucks included, are stored in two separate warehouses. The warehouse with the M54A2, M35A2, M725, M37, M38, M890, M151A2, M101A1, M100, M416, and M55 I have 24/7 access to. The other warehouse, with mostly WWII era vehicles is a controlled access building that I have to set up an time with the owner to access. So, the plan with this truck is parades and HMV shows to gather funds and support for the museum. A long answer to the question, so I guess the short one will be yes but on a limited basis.

papabear said:
Look on the frame...driver's side directly behind the front tire. Should have the serial # stamped there. All 5tons are not dropsides.
Since you are having problems with one, you should donate it to our little museum. That truck is Guntruck material if I ever saw it.
www.ironmikemuseum.org
I tried to look all over the frame where you said, but saw nothing there on Saturday. Now I know that is the exact spot I will try and look harder.

We are not having any problems that we can't fix. :) Funny though, I had your exact same thought. If we get a wrecker truck and hoist the M45 quad fifty mount up there that would be one mean mo'fo' gun truck. I would love to see the museum replicate a gun truck someday.

~Robert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks