• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help with oil leak!

T_F_E

Hey everyone I am really stumped on an oil leak and could use any help I can get. I have a leak somewhere above the oil filter, It runs on the headers, then down the exhuast then drips all over my driveway. The leak will leave about a 4 inch circle whenever I park it after a drive.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

hfmt93

i have a leak in the same place. Turns out it is the L/H rocker cover. Check that. Hope it is that because also check the head gasket which is right below the rocker cover.

T_F_E

Thats what my first guess would be, it doesnt smoke, and theres no oil in coolant so I'm assuming its the valve cover gasket. Any idea where I could get one and also do you have to remove the injector lines?

hfmt93

remove the injector lines. 15mm and 19mm. Make sure you mark where they go. pull off the rocker cover, scrape all the old gasket(if it has it) and rtv off, clean it, put a bead of black rtv on it and put it back on.
To bleed the injector lines keep the B-nut at the injector loose and turn the motor over 15 sec at at time, wait 1min between, untill fuel if squirting out the line B-nut. Tighten.

It is going to be tricky if you leave the intake manifold on there. You will probably have to take it off. One thing I wish i did before i started all this maintenance is take the truck to a self car wash and spray down the engine. especially the valley, and around the manifold.

Go to the Wiki on this site (bottom of main forum page) and there are links to maintenance manuals. What you are looking for will be in the intermediate maintenance manual
Good luck. Its a lot of trouble for a rocker cover leak. Not hard, just time consuming.

Armada

Also, make sure the mounting flange on the rocker cover is not deformed. If the cover bolts have been over-tightened in the past, the thin metal may be bent.

papercu

I don't know if the 6.2 engine has it but the Chevy gas engines have something that is in between the oil filter and the block (oil filter cooler?) that can dump a lot of oil when it starts leaking. Actually most all of the oil in 30 miles. I know this for a fact. Wayne

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks