• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help With Transfer Case Swap

mynewtoy

I just pulled the NP208 out of my 1985 M1028 to swap in a NP205 W/PTO before I started this swap I called the local dealer I deal with to make sure this was a direct swap the doner vechicle was also an 1985 1 ton non military Chevy 350[Gas] with a Turbo 400 I was very clear about the question is the output shaft on the tranny the same between the NP208 & the NP205. He looked it up and said there was no difference well now that it's apart it seems to me that he was wrong. My shaft looks to be to short. Has anyone ever done this swap? If so is there an easy solution to my problem? The output shaft on my tranny measrues 2.5" from the 6 bolt flange to the end of the output shaft. It looks like it needs to be 4.5" this truck only has 6400 miles on it I really don't want to pull the tranny apart if I don't have to. Any help is graetly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

mynewtoy

I see what you mean. I'm begining to believe I have a 1984 doner and not 1985 looks like the 85 and later uses the long input. Do you have one or know of any body who does?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not. Have you studied the adapters beteen trans and transfer? Prett sure they are different and the 208 will need clearanced for the shift rails.

MatthewH

If the input length on the tcase is the issue, why not just swap the input gear? Tcase is already out, flop it on the bench, and get to swapping. With the input in hand, take under an hour, there super easy.
Google ZBag for an input shaft. I just bought one, for a 205, was under $80. The long spline may be more,

mynewtoy

Matt
I agree I'll try to find one today. I did some more searching it looks like the 1986 -91 has a different adapter plate between the tranny and transfer case. Mine has the figure 8 design and the newer case has the round design so now I'm hoping the input gears can be swaped. Does different adapter plates mean different input gears. UGGG

MatthewH

You are correct, there were 2 different patterns for adapters on the front, nice thing is, there popular for swapping. Check with Advanced Adapters, I believe they have a package that is the correct input as well as a new trans/tcase adapter. There spendy, but depending on your location, may be easier than finding that late model np205

MatthewH

After doing some googling, looks like you need a figure 8 TH400/NP205 adapter, and a long spline th400 input gear. ORD lists the adapter #GU4032, for $260 I'm sure AA has one as well. Personally id still call Zbag for the input gear, as they had the cheapest price for said parts when I was looking, and great customer service

mynewtoy

Matt
I found a whole case 500.00 + 150.00 shipping. I decided to call the transmission shop I deal with he said he'll pull the tranny apart and swap out the rear output shaft for the longer one for 150.00 I found the shaft on the net so I pulled the tranny today before I did I wanted to drain the fluid out so I loosened the pan bolts and even though I took my time and used PC Blaster 6 of the pan bolts broke. UGGGG. I guess this is one of the negitives about there only being 6400 miles on it. Bolts haven't been move since 1985. Oh well I'll drill them out tomorrow then off to the tranny shop. I did this swap for two reasons I needed the NP205 so I can run the PTO For the dump bed the second reason is because I need the NP208 to replace the transfer case GL broke with the forklift in my other M1028 Daully That one has only 16000 miles on it I'm getting that one ready to sell if anybody interested.

Last edited:

mynewtoy

Talk about lucking out. I took the tranny to the tranny shop the guy called his parts supplier they had the right output shaft to make this work [which is the same shaft as 2wd output] He can have it in 2 days my cost 25.00 + 150.00 labor to take the tranny apart install rear output and re-seal tranny with all new seals and gaskets. Project 1 TON DUMP is back on track.

mynewtoy

Update
I got the tranny back with the right output installed all re-sealed and ready to go installed the tranny to night and slide the transfer case in all went very well now all I need to do is have the front shaft shortened and the rear shaft built and I'm good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks