• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with trrailer adapter

dstang97

Bought a T trailer adapter for a 84+ Everything fits fine and says it splices in on the drivers side. it was either Hoppy or drawtite. Everything works except for the passangers stop/turn signal. Then I started probing around and got to thinking on the drivers side ther is only 3 wire one stop, tail and the other is reverse light so of coarse its not going to work. What gives/ what am I missing?

86m1028

No reverse wire for the trailer.

left turn & brake same
taillight
right turn & brake same
ground

have you checked the bulb ?

dstang97

No reverse wire for the trailer.

left turn & brake same
taillight
right turn & brake same
ground

have you checked the bulb ?
Bulbs all work fine. the wires i listed are the only wires on the drivers side where the harness is supposed to be plugged in. I temporary fixed it by running a seperate wire to the passangers side taillight.

86m1028

here is the similar adapter I bought

1973-1984 GMC Jimmy Hitch Wiring Kits - Hoppy

seems like there should be one for each side to pick up both stop/turn light
I think your putting the adapter in the wrong place.
Look further inward on the crossmember at the rear of the truck.
You need to find where the wiring harness comes from the frt of the truck (down the driversside frame rail) then splits to each side.
I believe your plugging in where the drivers side wiring unplugs from the light assy.

Last edited:

dstang97

read some other posts and they said the same thing. The special t connector is a waste of money and you need to run a jumper to the passangers taillight. The cucv must use a different "main harness" with extra plugs (black out lights) By putting it at the drivers tail light you get 2 of the 3 wires you need. I wish I would have known this before I waisted my money.

300 posts yay me

AJMBLAZER

Few days old but I had the exact same issue (you probably saw my thread from a year or so ago) and ended up just going with ODIron's military trailer light plug adapter thingy. Works great.

dstang97

I needed something like the T to give me 4 of the 7 wires for a elec. brakes. Thats why i did not purchase that one. Its all set know and looks nice. I just wish I could have gotten the right one.

dstang97

not all of the wires are there to hook up a civilian brake controller. Its ok, I fixed it already and towed roughly 11k lbs yesterday just fine with my new trailer.