• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need info on sprag t-case

ida34

Oilcan ended up with a sprag case. The other one was an airshift. I think there is linkage to the trans for the sprag and he does not have the linkage. Is it going to be ok to drive it home without the linkage? I figured if we had the sprag linkage in the neutral position it would be ok but the rear or front sprag would just not engage and everything will be ok. Will the t-case have problems if it does not see the trans going from front to rear? We don't want the case to blow apart again.

Thanks
Chuck

JasonS

The transmission only engages the rear sprag; when the transmission passes through neutral the spring in the transfer case engages the front sprag. Jack up a wheel and check. I am not sure how you will rig it up to be in neutral. The best is to remove the front driveshaft.

ida34

Looking at the sprag adjustment topic it looks like there really is no neutral position. As I understand it, unless reverse is engaged the spraq rests in the forward engaged position, so if no linkage is attached the case will be in the forward sprag postion. If this is correct will it cause damage to the case if the truck is reversed while the tcase sprag is set to the forward sprag? Will leaving the front driveshaft effect the lubrication in the case? Will it cause any problems if the front drive shaft is left out? We are trying to figure out how they can get home without the t-case changing from front to rear sprag without damaging anything.

If I understand the sprag adjustment article right it would make you right Jason.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
yes, reversing with the sprag in forward can be damaging. Don't remember if dropping the driveshaft would cause any problems - it shouldn't - although the TM should cover this in the towing section.

Which reminds me, I meant to jack up a five ton for an experiment.....guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow afternoon.

HTH,
David

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Err on the side of caution, remove the driveshaft. If you can get it home without ever backing up, you would be OK. Considering Murphy's law, I wouldn't take that chance.

ida34

I think they will remove the driveshaft but this is after they reinstalled it. They are really scratching their heads over the no backing up thing but it is a pretty straight shot from my house to the interstate then they should be home free. I told them that I have never had to back when out. I did have to when back at the house. I told them to go slow and plan any moves carefully. I am not sure but I think Oilcan is somewhat new to driving a deuce. With me it was like riding a bike and I have taken the things through all sorts of traffic between Korea and the first Gulf War. I told them that incase of emergency just run anything in the way.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are absolutely right Steve, once the shaft is out, no problem at all driving forwards or back.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran mine 2 years with lockout hubs and the front drive shaft in place before i switched to a airshift. But he really needs to remove the front shaft. Tell him i have the linkage parts that came out if mine and he can have them if he wants. I saved them incase somebody needed them. I'll never use them now that i have a airshift.

ida34

Thanks for the input from all. He did remove the shaft and is on his way back to OH. I told him to post when he gets home. He did say he appreciated the help from everyone online.

oilcan

Yup, the help is invaluable. And I am new at driving these things, but luckily, didn't have to run over anyone. Maybe I will the first time I drive it to work.

Ken, as soon as I wake up next week, I'll shoot a pm in your general direction.

Got lots of readin' to do. After that nap...